Author Topic: You can just feel it. This is where.....  (Read 8178 times)

Offline Gleason2

You can just feel it. This is where.....
« Topic Start: May 22, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
You can just feel it.  This is where the first long losing streak of the season begins.  I expect the Nats to be swept in Milwaukee and probably by San Diego when they return home next weekend.  By the time the Padres leave town the Nats will be at least 8 games under .500, but probably 10.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: You can just feel it. This is where.....
« Reply #1: May 22, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
Don't forget who's coming into town after the Padres: the Phillies, with a Memorial Day afternoon match and probably lots of Philly support in the stands. (Lots of Metro trackwork going on that weekend too, including Memorial Day proper, to make your baseball day out even more pleasant.)

[reaches for Scotch bottle]

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: May 22, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Its over.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: May 22, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
Definitely. At least when we started losing last year we had Strasburg to look forward to.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: May 22, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
The drought of 2011 begins

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #5: May 22, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
So two days after the most explosive offensive game in Franchise history, it's over?

LOL

Ok

There's 120 games left, good grief, try and relax a little and enjoy yourself will ya?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: May 22, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
So two days after the most explosive offensive game in Franchise history, it's over?

SSS!!!!!!!!!!

We entered our long drought after the Os series last year!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: May 22, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »
I'm going to be honest here - if Stairs, LaRoche and Bixler are still getting playing by the end of next week Rizzo should be hung from his nuts off the Wilson bridge. Friday was mirage - this line-up and team sucks with the pieces Riggleman has to work with.  That we aren't 20GB is a miracle.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #8: May 22, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
I guess I'm confused what everybody is expecting? Weren't the predictions for between 72 and 75 wins for this year by most people? That's 87 to 89 losses.

Zimmerman is out, Strasburg is out, LaRoche is hurt, Ankiel is hurt, Morse has been nursing an ankle, etc., etc.,  And yet we're still hovering around 500. Personally, I think that's amazing.

Other than releasing Stairs and sending Bixler back down to the minors, I don't see any reason to make any big changes at all. Nothing dramatic should be done until the lineup is whole and healthy and the team can see what they've got.

This team is going to lose a lot of games, seems silly to get all wrapped around the axle after losing a couple ...

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #9: May 22, 2011, 05:41:13 PM »
While the original post and some replies are way too dramatic and overdoing it, I do agree that this is a critical juncture in the season that could potentially ruin the summer for this team.  The status quo is not sustainable.

How is a prediction that these last 2 games in Baltimore are the start of the team's first extended losing streak too dramatic?  One would have to believe that a long losing streak by this team is very unlikely to hold that opinion of what I wrote.  You'd have to look far and wide to find anyone who thinks that at least one extended Nats' losing streak is not in the cards this season.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #10: May 22, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
How is a prediction that these last 2 games in Baltimore are the start of the team's first extended losing streak too dramatic?  One would have to believe that a long losing streak by this team is very unlikely to hold that opinion of what I wrote.  You'd have to look far and wide to find anyone who thinks that at least one extended Nats' losing streak is not in the cards this season.

Nobody knows anything such thing. I think it's impossible to make any definitive declarations about what this team can and can not do. Wasn't the 9 game road trip through the NL East suppose to bury them? They finished 4-5.

The Nats have been in pretty much every game this entire year. There just as likely to have a win streak as a losing streak.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: May 22, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
We just all hope it's not as dire as the picture you paint.

How is a prediction that these last 2 games in Baltimore are the start of the team's first extended losing streak too dramatic?  One would have to believe that a long losing streak by this team is very unlikely to hold that opinion of what I wrote.  You'd have to look far and wide to find anyone who thinks that at least one extended Nats' losing streak is not in the cards this season.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: May 22, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
It's not that I had greater expectations for this team. Its just the fact that this could be the period where we go into that log drought and that sucks no matter what, even if you knew it was coming. I mean it hasn't happened yet and there's still a chance we play like we have been (~.500 baseball) for a lot longer but with the injuries you mentioned makes that look dim. I we've actually had some games where we should be a lot better than our record claims but this offense can't get perform consistently.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: May 22, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
Hovering around .500? What?! We are 4 under and will be 10 under by the end of May.

This team has blown it. Another season down the toilet

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #14: May 22, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
Hovering around .500? What?! We are 4 under and will be 10 under by the end of May.

This team has blown it. Another season down the toilet

LOL

We've been hovering around 500 all year

And since you already know what's going to happen the next two weeks, make yourself useful and pick the loterry number.

Damn panic monkeys are tiresome

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #15: May 22, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
It's not that I had greater expectations for this team. Its just the fact that this could be the period where we go into that log drought and that sucks no matter what, even if you knew it was coming. I mean it hasn't happened yet and there's still a chance we play like we have been (~.500 baseball) for a lot longer but with the injuries you mentioned makes that look dim. I we've actually had some games where we should be a lot better than our record claims but this offense can't get perform consistently.

I guess I don't understand why that depresses you so much. This team has limitations. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. They're not going to contend this year, and yeah, sure, losing sucks, but they're going to lose a lot of games this year. They just are, why get so bent out of shape?  

I think the pitching's been amazing. I love watching our bullpen, the offense sucks balls and Stairs needs to be released, but Zimmerman will be back in June and Strasburg will be back in September, I'm looking forward to that. And who knows, maybe we'll even get a Harper September call up. That would fun too.

I just decided before the season even started that since they're going to lose at least 80+ games, I'm just not going to get all verklempt over 1 loss here, 2 losses there, etc.,

Once this team is ready to contend, losses like today will be A LOT more irritating. But for today, I thought that they swung the bats really well and Jordan was awesome. Just unfortunate that they lost.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #16: May 22, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
I guess I don't understand why that depresses you so much. This team has limitations. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. They're not going to contend this year, and yeah, sure, losing sucks, but they're going to lose a lot of games this year. They just are, why get so bent out of shape? 

Because it sucks?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #17: May 22, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Because it sucks?

Yeah

Sigh

Ok

I tried

Have your misery ...

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #18: May 22, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »

Nobody knows anything such thing. I think it's impossible to make any definitive declarations about what this team can and can not do. Wasn't the 9 game road trip through the NL East suppose to bury them? They finished 4-5.

The Nats have been in pretty much every game this entire year. There just as likely to have a win streak as a losing streak.

It's one thing to disagree with my prediction.  It's entirely another to imply that the prediction has no basis in reality.  This team is entirely capable of going on a long losing streak. 

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #19: May 22, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
I just find it excruciating to watch this team hit. The pitching is good enough, and the fielding is usually fine. But then they come to bat and, wow...

And, in addition, I say: release Stairs, fix LaRoche's shoulder, and return Bixler to Syracuse

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #20: May 22, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
It's one thing to disagree with my prediction.  It's entirely another to imply that the prediction has no basis in reality.  This team is entirely capable of going on a long losing streak.  

LOL, where did I say that? I said that nobody "knows" anything such thing. Which they don't.

I said that the Nats are in every game, they are just as likely to go on a win streak as a losing streak. BOTH could happen

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #21: May 22, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
LOL, where did I say that? I said that nobody "knows" anything such thing. Which they don't.

I said that the Nats are in every game they are just as likely to go on a win streak as a losing streak. BOTH could happen
Win streak? With this offense? Forget about it. The pitching is coming back down to earth too. We have all the ingredients for a long losing skid.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: May 22, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
Win streak? With this offense? Forget about it. The pitching is coming back down to earth too. We have all the ingredients for a long losing skid.

Since you can predict the future, make yourself useful and pick the lottery numbers.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #23: May 22, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »
Milwaukee is not the team they were picked to be and the Padres aren't the team they were last year. This Nats team is not going to score a lot of runs very often. I don't know how they will in these next couple series but every time this team has looked poised for a long losing streak they have avoided it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #24: May 22, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
 :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic::panic: