Author Topic: Can we step back from the ledge, please?  (Read 12957 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Can we step back from the ledge, please?
« Reply #200: September 17, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Exactly.  Those who are dismissing the sweep as a non-event may be taking it a bit lightly.  I just don't have a good feeling about this.  Hopefully things get back on track against LA.

And it's the manner in which we got swept.  We looked like the series was too much for us to handle while the Braves looked like they were on cruise control.  i know I'll get crucified for this, but veteran leadership is desperately needed right now to calm these kids down.  It's moments like these when a veteran presence is underrated.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #201: September 17, 2012, 12:29:11 PM »
Noted.  Dead horse sufficiently beaten.  The Nats just need to step it up on this home stand and silence the pessimists (like me).  Been a DC baseball fan since the '60's.  I haven't come to terms with all this pennant race stuff.

'sall good.  It looks like the Nats haven't come to terms with the pennant race either.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #202: September 17, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
I feel like whenever someone is rationally angry they get labeled by the super fans as a panic monkey. Remember you just have to be happy the Nats have a winning record and that there is baseball back in DC.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #203: September 17, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
Best record in baseball. ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

And we could be 1.5 games closer to clinching that :shrug:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #204: September 17, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »
I feel like whenever someone is rationally angry they get labeled by the super fans as a panic monkey. Remember you just have to be happy the Nats have a winning record and that there is baseball back in DC.

It's just indicative of the personality types we have on this board.  SSS.  LoD.  LAC.  Panic Monkeys.  GoINFU.  Etc. On top of all that it's human nature to categorize - everyone does it because it helps to simplify things. 

I like to think, personally, that most of the time I'm rational but I admit to frequently getting caught up in the moment and acting like an ass/panic monkey/agenda-driven moron.  I'd also like to believe that others could do the same.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #205: September 17, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
If anyone needs another reason to worry...one has to go back to the 2007 Red Sox to find a World Series champion that was swept in a series in September (they were aced in an away series against the Blue Jays on 17th-19th of that month).

Since then:

2008 Phillies - last swept 11th-14th August at Dodgers
2009 Yankees - last swept 10th-12th July at Angels
2010 Giants - last swept 28th-30th June by Dodgers
2011 Cardinals - last swept 22nd-24th August by Dodgers

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #206: September 17, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »

Sigh, I obviously wasn't serious at all. I was just messing around with him.

There's nothing "super fan" about pointing out that we're still in good position, despite the sweep. Nobody is saying it was fun, or that we enjoyed it or that we're satisfied.

And who is saying we're just happy having winning baseball?  That's such a trite generalization.

Last year we would have given a body part just to make the wild card, now I can't imagine there will be one person who isn't incredibly disappointed if we don't win the division.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #207: September 17, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
And we could be 1.5 games closer to clinching that :shrug:

Yep, it was a missed opportunity, no disputing that

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #208: September 17, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
wpa I wasn't speaking of you... But obviously you think of yourself as a super fan! :P

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #209: September 17, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
Sigh, I obviously wasn't serious at all. I was just messing around with him.

There's nothing "super fan" about pointing out that we're still in good position, despite the sweep. Nobody is saying it was fun, or that we enjoyed it or that we're satisfied.

And who is saying we're just happy having winning baseball?  That's such a trite generalization.

Last year we would have given a body part just to make the wild card, now I can't imagine there will be one person who isn't incredibly disappointed if we don't win the division.

You raise an interesting point:  in his attempt to call out labelers and generalizers he made a sweeping, generalizing label.  :lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #210: September 17, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

wpa I wasn't speaking of you... But obviously you think of yourself as a super fan! :P

Oh Hell Yeah I do

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #211: September 17, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
You raise an interesting point:  in his attempt to call out labelers and generalizers he made a sweeping, generalizing label.  :lol:

It's like the people who complain about the complainers

;)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #212: September 17, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
If anyone needs another reason to worry...one has to go back to the 2007 Red Sox to find a World Series champion that was swept in a series in September (they were aced in an away series against the Blue Jays on 17th-19th of that month).

Since then:

There has been a LOT of uneven baseball this month by a lot of teams.

I think most of the current playoff contenders have been swept this month at some point.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #213: September 17, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
we have one thing n

Since then:

none of those teams had John Lannan.

Seriously, i'm worried now.  We seem to have gotten back to our free swinging ways, and the bullpen has been a mess.  And the Braves are arguably a better team then we are right now.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #214: September 17, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
It's like the people who complain about the complainers

;)

:-[

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #216: September 17, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
we have one thing n
none of those teams had John Lannan.

Seriously, i'm worried now.  We seem to have gotten back to our free swinging ways, and the bullpen has been a mess.  And the Braves are arguably a better team then we are right now.

Did you watch the Braves play Milwaukee last week, they looked like ASS and Milwaukee looked awesome - then Milwaukee turned around and played like ASS against the Mets, at home no less.

Baseball is a strange game. Teams can look completely different from series to series

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #217: September 17, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
I'm thrilled.  Get all the bad play/slumping out of our systems now before it counts in October?  Who has two thumbs and isn't worried?  :)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #218: September 17, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
I'm thrilled.  Get all the bad play/slumping out of our systems now before it counts in October?  Who has two thumbs and isn't worried?  :)

There are days I feel like this too, but today's not one of them.  I guess I'm just moody.   :lmao:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #219: September 17, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
Did you watch the Braves play Milwaukee last week, they looked like ASS and Milwaukee looked awesome - then Milwaukee turned around and played like ASS against the Mets, at home no less.

Baseball is a strange game. Teams can look completely different from series to series
That's bullcrap. The Braves didn't play that poorly in Milwaukee. They just ran into a really hot team playing at home. The Braves' pitching has been superior to ours'. Rotation and bullpen.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #220: September 17, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
I was wondering about veteran post-season presence.  Both the Braves and Nats are young teams, and last I checked, the Braves have TWO players with WS rings and the Nats have 3.

Chipper Jones - 1995
Chad Durbin - 2008

Jayson Werth - 2008
Mark DeRosa - 2010
Edwin Jackson - 2011

Am I missing anyone?  I know that the Braves have more guys who have been to the postseason with Hinske, Diaz, Heyward, Venters, Kimbrel, Moylan, Beachy, Martinez, McCann, Ross, Hudson, and Hanson plus the other two previously mentioned.  Nats have the three mentioned before, Adam LaRoche(I think in 2005) and Michael Gonzalez.

Then again Nats have Davey who has a ring.  Braves have Fredi who is best known for managing a team that fell apart.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #221: September 17, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
I admit that I'll feel much better if the Braves lose tonight.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #222: September 17, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
I was wondering about veteran post-season presence.  Both the Braves and Nats are young teams, and last I checked, the Braves have TWO players with WS rings and the Nats have 3.

Chipper Jones - 1995
Chad Durbin - 2008

Jayson Werth - 2008
Mark DeRosa - 2010
Edwin Jackson - 2011

Am I missing anyone?  I know that the Braves have more guys who have been to the postseason with Hinske, Diaz, Heyward, Venters, Kimbrel, Moylan, Beachy, Martinez, McCann, Ross, Hudson, and Hanson plus the other two previously mentioned.  Nats have the three mentioned before, Adam LaRoche(I think in 2005) and Michael Gonzalez.

Then again Nats have Davey who has a ring.  Braves have Fredi who is best known for managing a team that fell apart.

Davey's ring was over 25 years ago.  And we really don't need World Series experience so much right now as pennant chase experience.  Most of our guys either haven't had much ML experience at all or that which they have had hasn't been in important September games.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #223: September 17, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »
I admit that I'll feel much better if the Braves lose tonight.

Hell, if we take 2-of-3 from the Dodgers I'll be declaring us the 2012 World Series champs.  Maybe it's not the Nats who can't handle this playoff push, it's me.  :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #224: September 17, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
Hell, if we take 2-of-3 from the Dodgers I'll be declaring us the 2012 World Series champs.  Maybe it's not the Nats who can't handle this playoff push, it's me.  :lol:

...  us.