Author Topic: Nats have 26th best farm system according to SI  (Read 3306 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nats have 26th best farm system according to SI
« Reply #25: December 04, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
emphasis on star power. whatever. We have two pitchers that will be in the Majors sometime this year and both have "Star Power". How many other teams have an Ace and Closer in waiting?

I'd rather have depth anyways than "Star Power". If those "stars" don't pan out and you don't have depth then you are freaked. 

In a system like ours' we a ton of depth, specifically in starting pitchers. I just rattled off a quick list of 17 starters in our system. Even if only 5 (less than 33%) of them pan out that will be big for us.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: December 04, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
Even just basing the rankings on Star Power we do not belong 26th! Did you guys see Derek Norris' and Brad Meyers' numbers last year? Marrero was solid and then did well for himself in the AFL. We know all about SS and Storen.

How in the freaking hell are the Mets ranked in the middle of the pack?!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: December 04, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
emphasis on star power. whatever. We have two pitchers that will be in the Majors sometime this year and both have "Star Power". How many other teams have an Ace and Closer in waiting?

I'd rather have depth anyways than "Star Power". If those "stars" don't pan out and you don't have depth then you are freaked. 

In a system like ours' we a ton of depth, specifically in starting pitchers. I just rattled off a quick list of 17 starters in our system. Even if only 5 (less than 33%) of them pan out that will be big for us.

I'll call you on that.

Since 2005 exactly one pitcher from the Nats farm system has turned into a respectable major leaguer. John Lannan.

That's much less that 33%.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #28: December 04, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »
Jordan Zimmermann before the injury. I like Craig Stammen. He can be a solid Major League pitcher.

Do you realize the state this franchise was in 2005/2006? Our top prospects included guys like Mike Hinckley, Larry Broadway, and Kory Casto. Just let that sink in and compare it to what we have today.

Obviously it took a while for things to turn around but within the next year or so you really are going to see guys make an impact in the Majors for us.

We have a lot of pitchers in the High Minors eager for their chance to pitch in the Pros.

Here's to hoping guys like Balester, Detwiler, Martis, Meyers, Mandel, etc who all pitched in AA or AAA last year put it all together this year and blossom into the pitchers that they are capable of being.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #29: December 04, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
Jordan Zimmermann hasn't proven anything. Until he can put more than a half a season together, he's nothing more than a question mark. If you say Zimmermann has proven he belongs that's like saying Martis has proven he belongs because he put together a solid half a season.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #30: December 04, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
I'm weary of Zimmermann's injury but you could clearly see he was going to be a stud in the Majors during his time here.

Not as sold on Martis. He started hot like you mentioned and then flamed out and then did poorly in AAA for the rest of the season.

Still I like his makeup and believe he can pitch in the Majors at some point. He's still a young one.

I'm high on Detwiler. Good stuff and he carries himself like he belongs up here.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #31: December 04, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »
That's fine that we're high on kids in the minors... but that doesn't mean there aren't 25 other teams with better prospects out there.

Hell, I think Rizzo added three or four of the Nats top 10 prospects this past draft. That should tell you just how bad this farm system was coming into this year.

Give it time, and it will rise... but 26 seems pretty damn accurate to me.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: December 04, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
Ranking farm systems is no exact science and depends mostly on the criteria you want to use.  The system has progressed quite a bit from last year and the potential amount of talent they have is far greater than any previous year in Washington.  They have a greater pool of pitching talent (older picks from this year, younger HS picks from previous years that have yet to come into their own).  They finally have some projectable bats in the system.  And the DR teams are beginning to produce some talent (Eury Perez, Juan Jamie).  In comparison to other teams, our system is closer to middle of the pack than the bottom.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #33: December 09, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
Jordan Zimmermann before the injury. I like Craig Stammen. He can be a solid Major League pitcher.

Do you realize the state this franchise was in 2005/2006? Our top prospects included guys like Mike Hinckley, Larry Broadway, and Kory Casto. Just let that sink in and compare it to what we have today.

Obviously it took a while for things to turn around but within the next year or so you really are going to see guys make an impact in the Majors for us.

We have a lot of pitchers in the High Minors eager for their chance to pitch in the Pros.

Here's to hoping guys like Balester, Detwiler, Martis, Meyers, Mandel, etc who all pitched in AA or AAA last year put it all together this year and blossom into the pitchers that they are capable of being.

I can't agree with you more! Cheers!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #34: December 09, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »
Damn SF with some very solid points, my boy is growing up! :tears:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: December 09, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

Since 2005 exactly one pitcher from the Nats farm system has turned into a respectable major leaguer. John Lannan.

he dovetails nicely with the one hitter (Zimmerman) we've produced (though with the lack of time in the minors, the UVA coaching staff deserves as much credit)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: December 09, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
Damn SF with some very solid points, my boy is growing up! :tears:

If only you would extend us the same courtesy...