Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158056 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2250: July 04, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
And your decent begins....

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2251: July 05, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
 Each sample requires about 6 ounces, and may reduce your final yield... Pass.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2252: July 05, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
6 ounces? you're filling up a very narrow graduated cylinder half way. My entire cylinder holds slightly less than that. The real worry is contamination- i.e. don't put the sample back, pour quickly, and don't take more samples than you need 

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2253: July 05, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
I know it isn't a real concern. When I get a bad batch, I'll likely break down and get one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2254: July 05, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
If I didn't store my bottles in a carpeted room, I would have held off, but the first bottle bomb would have had my wife ending my hobby

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2255: July 05, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Fortunately my fiancee knows not to get between me and beer. We'll see if it lasts when she is the wife.

The six ounce thing was real, dragged it from a website selling one for Mr. Beer.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2256: July 05, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
The cylinder may hold six ounces, buy you only fill it 1/3 to 1/2 way so the you can float the hydrometer

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2257: July 05, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Blame Mr. Beer. :mg:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2258: July 05, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
Does your fiancee like to drink beer ?

Fortunately my fiancee knows not to get between me and beer. We'll see if it lasts when she is the wife.

The six ounce thing was real, dragged it from a website selling one for Mr. Beer.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2259: July 05, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
Unless you count fruit lambics as beer no. :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2260: July 05, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
Unless you count fruit lambics as beer no. :mg:

Get Radical Brewing, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937381837

If she likes lambics, you can try different variations . My wife started out only liking pilsner and wheat beers, now she's a bigger hop head than me

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2261: July 07, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
Power outage = new beer offering

Port City lost power and

"We had 13,000 gallons of beer in our tanks and those were at various degrees of doneness," brewery founder Bill Butcher says. "Some were actively fermenting, some had finished fermenting out, but it all needed to be kept cold at very exact temperatures."

The brewery's power was out for five days and was restored by Dominion Virginia Power Thursday morning.

Luckily, Butcher says they located a generator early on to power their critical systems, so no beer had to be thrown out.

He says one batch of lager beer - roughly 120 kegs worth - fermented differently than the brewers originally intended.

"It turns out that there's actually a style of beer called 'California common beer' or 'steam beer' that is intentionally fermented this way, and so our lager beer will end up being a California common beer," Butcher says. "We're going to call it 'Doracho Common.'"

The beer will be available on draft only in the brewery's tasting room and in restaurants and bars around the D.C. area that were affected by the storm.

http://wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=2933980

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2262: July 25, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
Please sign the petition from DCBrau to add their beer at Nationals Park.  It is the ONLY thing that makes Camden Yards better than Nationals Park - the poor beer selection at Nationals Park.
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-washington-nationals-start-serving-dc-brau-at-nationals-park-2#share

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2263: July 25, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
Interesting "discovery" in the PNC Diamond the other day.   Buddy went to get a couple of beers  ...   tasted good but "different".    The bartender filled the cup 3/4 full with Sam Adams seasonal and topped the beer off with Leinies.    Bartender told him the "science" of it all but I don't remember what it was. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2264: July 25, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
Interesting "discovery" in the PNC Diamond the other day.   Buddy went to get a couple of beers  ...   tasted good but "different".    The bartender filled the cup 3/4 full with Sam Adams seasonal and topped the beer off with Leinies.    Bartender told him the "science" of it all but I don't remember what it was. 

Sounds like a bunch of BS. I bet the Sam Adams rep would be royally pissed to hear that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2265: July 25, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of BS. I bet the Sam Adams rep would be royally pissed to hear that.
(Image removed from quote.)

The Sam Adams rep should be happy the over priced swill he hocks somehow still sells as premium

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2266: July 25, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
The Sam Adams rep should be happy the over priced swill he hocks somehow still sells as premium

Overpriced?  It's not really all that expensive, and many of their varieties are pretty damn good.  I'd say they represent good value as far as I'm concerned.  Yeah, you can get better beer paying more, but not many cheaper ones as good.

This one is hard to beat:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2267: July 25, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
Overpriced?  It's not really all that expensive, and many of their varieties are pretty damn good.  I'd say they represent good value as far as I'm concerned.  Yeah, you can get better beer paying more, but not many cheaper ones as good.

This one is hard to beat:

(Image removed from quote.)

have you had Noble Pils? Sam Adams seems like they care more about volume and quantity that quality. For the extra $1 a six pack, I'll take goose island or victory (currently the premium brands my Giant stocks). Something about Sam Summer always refreshes me and remind me of Summer, but that's the only Sam beer I buy anymore

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2268: August 21, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
There have been some discussions in the Red Porch to double the number of taps next year and bring in local beer, such as DCBrau, Port City, and Chocolate City.  Now if they could only expand to a few other places in Nationals Park

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2269: August 21, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »
I wish they'd expand the locations on the $5 Pilsner Urquells and just restirct the special price to folks wearing Nationals gear. Bite me MLB overlords.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2270: August 21, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
"Hawpa"

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2271: September 26, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »
Kojo just spent an hour discussing Oktoberfest with a panel of bier ubermenschen.  I'm ready to crack a nice Märzen right now. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2272: September 26, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
have you had Noble Pils? Sam Adams seems like they care more about volume and quantity that quality. For the extra $1 a six pack, I'll take goose island or victory (currently the premium brands my Giant stocks). Something about Sam Summer always refreshes me and remind me of Summer, but that's the only Sam beer I buy anymore

Noble Pils reminds me of another now-discontinued Sam Adams issue, Oregon IPA - the hops that just won't stop, and nice just for that, but it could stand a bit longer aging to develop proper flavour.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2273: September 26, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »
I thought that noble pils was pretty good...granted I drank a crap tonne of it before a DC United game, so perhaps the context inflated its attributes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2274: September 26, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »

Noble Pils was replaced by a different spring beer this year, something like "Alpine Spring."   That name sounds like a hygiene product.  Without a side by side, I'm not sure if it was just a rebranding, but my recollection was that it might have been doctored with lemon and spices.   Meanwhile, It seemed like the Summer Ale was tougher to get rid of than in years past.