Author Topic: WTF?? Svrulga gets reassigned to covering Redskins  (Read 2696 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Post's Svrluga Jumps From Nats To Skins - 1/22 - DCRTV hears that Washington Post sports writer Barry Svrluga will be jumping to the paper's Washington Redskins coverage team. Meanwhile, the Post is looking for someone to replace Svrluga on the Washington Nationals beat. In addition to the Skins, Svrluga will also cover the 2008 Olympics for the Post.....

www.dcrtv.com

Doesn't the Post already have enough people devoted to the Skins?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
You can never have enough people covering the Redskins. (some people are going to have a fit over that because they hate the Redskins and can't stand the fact that the Redskins are more popular than the Nats) Maybe we can get one of our members to take over his beat. That way someone can post positive articles about how the Nationals will win the World Series this year and next year and the year after that....

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
www.dcrtv.com

Doesn't the Post already have enough people devoted to the Skins?

They are also moving Carolyn Hax, Tom Shales, and Stephen Hunter. Every writer must cover the Skins. The Skins are the only team in this town. Are have you forgoten?

Offline Dave B

Is someone leaving the skins beat? 

natsfan1a

The other day a commenter posted an item to the Nationals Journal about this. The source was a New York paper, I think. The plan has always been for Svrluga to rotate off the baseball beat, and he has previously noted that he'll be covering the Olympics this summer. That last I heard, there had not been a comment from him or from the Post confirming that he'd be covering the Redskins (that doesn't mean that it isn't true, just that we've not yet seen anything from the horse's mouth on that aspect). Edited: As a commenter on the Journal pointed out, the timing would make sense for him to pick up on Redskins preseason coverage after the Olympics.

Offline spidernat

Exactly. If he was due to cover the Olympics then it doesn't make sense to keep him on the Nationals because they will be played during the season. I fail to see the big problem. They will have someone covering the Nationals and you may wind up liking that person better.

I'll take the job. 

Offline spidernat

I'll take the job. 

This is exactly what I thought when I saw that. NOTLD should take this job and take his positive spin of the Nats to the Post. Then maybe we can get some real insider info here.

Offline blue911

This is exactly what I thought when I saw that. NOTLD should take this job and take his positive spin of the Nats to the Post. Then maybe we can get some real insider info here.

I'm waiting for his Basik puff piece.

I'd give that rag some class.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
If the Redskins are soooo popular in this town and MORE popular than the NATS, then the Redskins really don't need any additional press people! 

The CURRENT NATIONALS have only been here 3 years.  They deserve to have more press than the REDSKINS who are already established in this town!

So NOLD, have you mailed off your resume yet!    :D

If the Redskins are soooo popular in this town and MORE popular than the NATS, then the Redskins really don't need any additional press people! 

The CURRENT NATIONALS have only been here 3 years.  They deserve to have more press than the REDSKINS who are already established in this town!

:lol: I will get the job based solely on the fine paper stock the resume is printed on.

Offline CALSGR8

:lol: I will get the job based solely on the fine paper stock the resume is printed on.

Put your AVI in the upper Left hand Corner!

Offline spidernat

That's not how things work. The Yankees, Cowboys and Lakers have been around for a while so maybe they shouldn't get as much press coverage right? The fact remains, whether people like it or not, that the Redskins own this town. They have been entrenched here for a long time and have had success and have a large and loyal following. You can't expect the Nationals to eclipse their popularity or even match it in 3 years. I have an entire lifetime invested in the Redskins as do many other people in this area. That does not mean we don't love the Nationals. The Nationals will gain ground on them and eventually will catch up but you can't just expect it to happen overnight or will (whine) it to happen. It takes time. To say that they deserve to have more press is ridiculous.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Carolyn Hax and J Freedom du Lac would be an excellent team to cover the Nats...we would have the inside skinny on the follow-up single to Bend Ya Knees, and would know whenever Manny put someone in baconpants and threw 'em off the boat. 

They are also moving Carolyn Hax, Tom Shales, and Stephen Hunter. Every writer must cover the Skins. The Skins are the only team in this town. Are have you forgoten?

Offline CALSGR8

I knew you'd react that way.  Fine!  I just happen to think that they have enough coverage in this town and don't need any additional "help"

Although, if its a choice of putting him on the REDSKINS, or someplace else in Sports, the Skins would be more appropriate.  I just think if it weren't an Olympic year, since the Olympics occur in the summer time thus interrupting NATS coverage; we wouldn't even be discussing this issue.

Offline spidernat

I just think if it weren't an Olympic year, since the Olympics occur in the summer time thus interrupting NATS coverage; we wouldn't even be discussing this issue.

I think that's the point. It's not about dogging the Nationals. It's about covering a big event (the Olympics) and realigning their coverage accordingly. The Nationals will get their coverage. Personally I don't even follow the Post's coverage that much (either Redskins or Nationals). In this day and age I thought that outlet was more for the marginal fan. We have many more options through the internet plus a good portion of us can actually see every one of their games so I don't need anyone giving me a recap like they do for the Redskins or the Nats.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
I remember Svrulga himself writing at one point that he'd be off the Nats beat after last season; I'm pretty sure it was in his snarky blog regarding Kasten. As for coverage, do the Caps or Wizards have more reporters covering them than do the Nats? Just curious. The Redskins have support in this town that cuts across racial lines, so I can accept their getting more coverage.

MrMadison

come off it with all the sarcasm, spidernat.  you know damn well that Barry was the only one at the post giving meaningful and quality coverage to the Nationals. there  are iplenty  of other  writers  who could cover the olympics and half the town already covers the skins.  this sucks and it saddens me, if true.

MrMadison

that said BPG should have some good reading about this.

Offline spidernat

I'm not being sarcastic. Again, this isn't about slighting the Nationals. Or about showing preferential treatment to the Redskins. It was about covering the Olympics (and if as you say, he provides meaningful and quality coverage) and they wanted someone competent on the assignment. By your own admission then there are plenty of other writers that can cover the Nats just as well. How will we know anything to the contrary unless someone else is given the opportunity? You may wind up enjoying the one that takes over his spot. And as I said, I don't rely on the Post's coverage of the Nationals (or the Redskins for that matter). I personally couldn't care less what they have to say. I watch all the games anyway. I remember when the press wasn't what it is now and I had to rely on the Washington Post but that's no longer the case. My subscription ran out about 2 years ago and I haven't renewed it.

natsfan1a

FWIW, these are allegedly citations from internal Post memos (link was posted to Nationals Journal by a commenter):

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/the_revolving_door/changes_in_posts_sports_coverage_75374.asp

MrMadison

ok fine, i can understand covering the olympics. but why move him to the redskins beat writer position instead of keeping him on the Nationals, where he has established himself and gained a following, and is a highly popular reporter.  sure i may like the new guy, but there is no reason to take the old guy from us.  what is wrong with the ARMY of current Redskin beat writers?

MrMadison

olympic coverage does not necessitate moving our guy to the redskins on a permanent basis. it is just a smokescreen.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Svrluga said a while back that he was going to come off the Nats beat. It is standard practice at the Post to rotate people around to different beats, and everyone gets their shot at being the Skins beat writer at some point.