Author Topic: Worst offensive performance in Nationals history - 2012 edition  (Read 14358 times)

Offline PC

I honestly can't imagine a game that doesn't qualify here.  This is the status quo for this team.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Even the broadcasters are starting to sound really frustrated at our offensive woes.  Look at Ray Knight tonight.  FP's been taking jabs at the offense.  Before Charlie and Dave tossed the postgame show to Phil Wood, the three of them talked for several minutes about all of the offensive woes.  Wood told a caller that Eckstein works hard and spends lots of time with the "hitters" but these so-called "hitters" just go back out and revert to their old ways at the plate.  Hello...is anyone held accountable?

We're getting raped - badly - by Saunders tomorrow.  Expect it.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think we light up Saunders, people say see the offense is fine, then it reverts- Saunders is awful, and this team has to eventually get to a pitcher

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I think we light up Saunders, people say see the offense is fine, then it reverts- Saunders is awful, and this team has to eventually get to a pitcher

If Saunders is awful so if the rest of our pitching staff. 

Offline HalfSmokes

If Saunders is awful so if the rest of our pitching staff. 

Sample size- he didnt get a 1 year $6 million deal based on his dominance

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Sample size- he didnt get a 1 year $6 million deal based on his dominance

What is his ERA this season and what are our our starters ERAs.  Turnabout is fair play.  Dude is a bum, no doubt, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him pitch a 15K shutout tonight.

Offline HalfSmokes

What is his ERA this season and what are our our starters ERAs.  Turnabout is fair play.  Dude is a bum, no doubt, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him pitch a 15K shutout tonight.

I've never claimed any if our starters have sustainable eras, and Saunders is worse than anyone we have by a wide margin

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I've never claimed any if our starters have sustainable eras, and Saunders is worse than anyone we have by a wide margin

My point is, regardless of whether or not Saunders is a bum (he is), that right now he looks just as good as our best starters. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Until he faces our lineup.

Then he'll look better than our starters.

Offline HalfSmokes

My point is, regardless of whether or not Saunders is a bum (he is), that right now he looks just as good as our best starters. 

I think 10ks 0 runs is possible, but I'm expecting him to get lit up and the slump declared over

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I think 10ks 0 runs is possible, but I'm expecting him to get lit up and the slump declared over

I brought my iPad to score this game so I'll post the scored results of the game tonight.  I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of Ks on the Nats scorecard and 0 runs. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I brought my iPad to score this game so I'll post the scored results of the game tonight.  I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of Ks on the Nats scorecard and 0 runs. 

as bad as this sounds I'm hoping for that- Davey and Rizzo need a wakeup call, our offense exploding just pushes back the issue (feel free to bash me for rooting against the team now)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Remember during spring training when the offense wasn't performing and Davey said not to worry about it because he hadn't put a priority on scoring runs to that point, I scoffed at the idea that DJ could just flip a switch and turn on the offense, but then he did exactly that.  So maybe he can do the same thing again.  Now would of course be the ideal time with the Phillies coming to town.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
This thread needs to stay fresh.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline GOON

I'd just like to thank Mike Rizzo for this STELLAR offense.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse, Jayson Werth, and Adam LaRoche out.

Get used to it buddy. When you built a team centered around pitching and defense, you are pretty much dead if you lose a Silver Slugger, a guy who is .300+/30+ homers, a $126 million man, and a guy having an amazing bounceback season.

You can either start banging your head against a brick wall until your brains fall out or deal with reality.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
It's pretty bad when the only run is by a 19 year old kid given a free pass to first base and later stealing home :|

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Can't sign depth without a budget.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse, Jayson Werth, and Adam LaRoche out.

Get used to it buddy. When you built a team centered around pitching and defense, you are pretty much dead if you lose a Silver Slugger, a guy who is .300+/30+ homers, a $126 million man, and a guy having an amazing bounceback season.

You can either start banging your head against a brick wall until your brains fall out or deal with reality.

I wasn't aware contract value automatically indicated quality.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Werth had been having a damn good year, regardless of contract.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I wasn't aware contract value automatically indicated quality.
It doesn't, which is why I tend to disagree with people who :panic: over payroll.

However, Jayson Werth is a team leader who was turning into a complete player offensively. Hit for solid average, had some power, and seemed to always make good plays on the basepaths. His loss hurts.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
With all of the injuries I'm sure the league minimum guys getting paying time are going to be world beaters.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Still, when I hear teams complain about injuries, to be missing your 3, 4, 5 & 6 hitters you had penciled in on March 1 is a pretty big gap.  That's basically what we had from the moment Werth was hurt until the end of the game.  Add in that we were missing our closer, our top bullpen FA pickup, and a guy penciled into the rotation as our #5 starter until he was hurt in the spring, I don't want to hear Philly fans talk about their depelted line up.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Still, when I hear teams complain about injuries, to be missing your 3, 4, 5 & 6 hitters you had penciled in on March 1 is a pretty big gap.  That's basically what we had from the moment Werth was hurt until the end of the game.  Add in that we were missing our closer, our top bullpen FA pickup, and a guy penciled into the rotation as our #5 starter until he was hurt in the spring, I don't want to hear Philly fans talk about their depelted line up.

Great points.

On another note - I predict seeing this thread skyrocket in posts in the next couple of weeks.