Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50005 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Buk Reedin' Thred (Book Thread)
« Reply #325: April 27, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
I guess I offended all the mods this morning.

Vonnegut is one of the greatest American authors, and I'd be hard-pressed to name a more important american author that has printed books during my life than him. He's required reading in most high schools. He'd also probably be right up your alley, being that you post about space and Reddit and nerdy stuff. I was surprised to see you mix him up with a pseudo-science quack.

Never heard of him actually, and never had to read anything he wrote in either high school or college english courses.

I can't speak for Nathan but I took his post as a tongue-in-cheek admission of ignorance.

I know the guy's name and I *might* have been able to tell you he was an author, but beyond that I couldn't tell you a single thing about him without looking it up.

No, you can't speak for me.  I usually wake up at 2:15 pm, and I posted at 2:35 pm, 20 minutes after getting up, and after a long night of D3 and boozing :P  I already posted a "oh crap, wrong guy, still sounds german-y" response and I still got two people posting what I read to be "Wow.  Are you really that freaking retarded?" type posts so I got pissy.

I've had my coffee and am in a better mood now ;)

Online blue911

« Reply #326: April 27, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »
I can't speak for Nathan but I took his post as a tongue-in-cheek admission of ignorance.

I know the guy's name and I *might* have been able to tell you he was an author, but beyond that I couldn't tell you a single thing about him without looking it up.

Slaughterhouse Five is one of the top English language novels of the past century. At one point it was standard reading for high school students, then they started the book ban crap.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #327: April 27, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Also to be clear, I didn't have him mixed up with this guy:

I had him mixed up with this guy:

:razz:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #328: April 27, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
I had to read Chariots of the Gods for a class in Pseudoscience I took in college. The guy is a kook.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #329: April 28, 2012, 04:55:33 AM »

The print version

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #330: May 07, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
kind of book reading, kind of listening to, the history of Rome podcast just concluded. I've been listening for three years, it ran a total of five years. if you want an audio book, it's free and on itunes (179 episodes) starting at Romulus and ending at Romulus' exile.  The host is great, and the subject matter is interesting (if you like history)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #331: May 07, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
Holy crap the Judgment Night soundtrack.

The Therapy? song is amazing

Nathan, run don't walk to read Breakfast of Champions. You will laugh your ass off:

"This is a picture of an jerk *

And now I want to listen to Walk Don't Run:

Offline PANatsFan

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #333: May 13, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »
99 cents today :lol:

I cannot resist, must re-read on Kindle. :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #334: May 13, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
Just downloaded it- also noticed that there are two free Vonnegut stories up as well

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #335: June 17, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »

Pretty darn good so far.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #336: June 18, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
I'm slumping. Grapes of Wrath sucked, and I'm a Steinbeck fan.

I'm listening to To End All Wars, which is about conscientious objectors to World War 1. It's pretty great so far.

I'm also poking at Bullpen Gospels.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #337: June 18, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
IS THIS A GREAT GAME OR WHAT? By Tim Kurkjien (or however you spell it)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #338: June 19, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty darn good so far.

That's on my to-listen list, though I've decided to cut down my personal spending budget severely so I don't know when I'll get to this book. Might just read it instead. But it seems pretty damn awesome and right up my alley, so many good reviews for it too.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #339: August 19, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »
looking for a recommendation for sci-fi or fantasy- I'm working my way through the game of thrones series, but I need a break- any suggestions

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #340: August 19, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
looking for a recommendation for sci-fi or fantasy- I'm working my way through the game of thrones series, but I need a break- any suggestions

read all 463 shannara books. resistance is futile.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #341: August 19, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
read all 463 shannara books. resistance is futile.

maybe- I'm looking to fill about two months of paternity leave- any suggestion for a starting point?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #342: August 19, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
maybe- I'm looking to fill about two months of paternity leave- any suggestion for a starting point?

Yes, read them in composition order. Sword, Elfstones, Wishsong, Scions series, First King, Etc.

Also read Running With the Demon, Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East. Those are actually better written.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #343: September 11, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
Started reading the first book of the Mistborn Trilogy.

Interesting take on Magic powers

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #344: September 11, 2012, 04:58:35 PM »
Just finished reading Hyperion and I'm now reading the sequel, Fall of Hyperion. A little hard to get into but it's very haunting but strangely compelling. Pretty bleak view of humanity.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #345: September 11, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »
Heard about a neat sounding book on NPR (yes, I know) today. The title of the book is 'Breed' by Chase Novak.

Sounds pretty good.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #346: September 27, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson was fanfreakingtastic.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #347: October 10, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »
I had posted a while ago that my Kindle had broken when it fell 2 feet from my bed to my carpeted floor while I was sleeping. The kicker was that Best Buy stated I was not covered in spite of the 1 year warranty as I had not bought the extended warranty. Explanations that the extended warranty was to extend the original warranty were totally useless. The other day I realized that the 1 year was almost up, so out of desperation I called Amazon directly. I received an apology and a new Kindle free of charge. G-d bless Amazon. Man, I missed my Kindle. I got so tired of carrying my desktop from room to room.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #348: October 10, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »
Good timing bumping this thread.  There's a new Humble eBook Bundle.  Works the same as the game bundles pretty much.  Pay what you want, get DRM free ebooks, pay more than the average and get some extra ones free.  You choose what percentage of your money goes to the authors, which to Humble Bundle, and which percentage to charity.  Books should work on pretty much any eReader.  Current average purchase price is $11.59.  So if you pay $11.60 or more, you get the bonus books as well.

The Humble eBook
Bundle

Eight works of literary genius. Humble eBook Bundle features eight masterful works from a prodigious league of award-winning authors. Name your price and receive Pirate Cinema, Pump Six and Other Stories, Zoo City, Invasion: The Secret World Chronicle, Stranger Things Happen, and Magic for Beginners. Customers who beat the average will also receive Old Man's War and the graphic novel Signal to Noise!

http://www.humblebundle.com/#contribute

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #349: October 10, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
Just finished the Hunger Games. I rather enjoyed it. Reading book 2 now.