Author Topic: Randy Orton on steroids  (Read 4306 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Randy Orton on steroids
« Topic Start: March 20, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
No, I'm not talking about Ryan Zimmerman.  Well, better stop with the Randy Orton comparisons, huh guys?  ;)

Randy Orton involved in WWE steroid scandal
http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/3753

While continuing their investigation into the alleged steroid distribution network in Florida that has implicated numerous professional athletes, Sports Illustrated's official website posted a story today where they reported that they have documents that show a number of WWE wrestlers' names being linked to the investigation. In addition to TNA star Kurt Angle, Sports Illustrated has linked WWE stars Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Adam "Edge" Copeland, Gregory Helms (though they refer to him as Shane Helms & 'The Hurricane' in the article), and the deceased Eddie Guerrero to steroids and HGH. In total, there were eleven professional wrestlers listed in the documents they saw, but only six of them have been outed thus far.

They are now reporting the following:

"According to the official documents we reviewed, (Arizona Dr. David) Wilbirt was billed for HCG and the steroid stanozolol that were sent to WWE star Eddie Guerrero in early 2005. (Guerrero died on Nov. 13, 2005, in a Minneapolis hotel room due to what a coroner later ruled as heart disease, complicated by an enlarged heart resulting from a history of anabolic steroid use.) Wilbirt also allegedly issued prescriptions for the steroids nandrolone and stanozolol to Oscar Gutierrez, whose stage name is Rey Mysterio. (Through the WWE, Gutierrez declined comment.)"

They also reported the following:

"In total, there were 11 professional wrestlers listed in the documents that we saw. Some of these wrestlers are working as independents; some are out of the business entirely; others are first-tier stars. Consider Randy Orton, who allegedly received eight prescriptions for six different drugs -- stanozolol, nandrolone, anastrozole, Clomiphene citrate, oxandrolone and testosterone -- between March 2004 and August 2004. (Through the WWE, Orton declined comment.) Interestingly, according to the documents, Orton's prescriptions came from the same two doctors whose names appeared on the prescriptions in major league outfielder Gary Matthews Jr.'s file."

They later wrote:

"According to the documents two prominent wrestlers, Adam Copeland, a.k.a. Edge, and Shane Helms, a.k.a. The Hurricane, received HGH. (Through the WWE, Copeland and Helms didn't respond to a request for comment.) But virtually all the others allegedly received a wide variety of anabolic steroids. In each case these were supplied by Applied, the Mobile, Ala., compounding pharmacy that was raided last fall."

When SI.com asked their reporters if WWE has a drug policy, the reporters, Luis Fernando Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim said, "Llosa/Wertheim: Gary Davis, a WWE spokesman, pointed us to a Talent Wellness Program instituted in February 2006. As to whether anabolic steroids and HGH are banned, Davis sent us an email quoting the policy: 'The WWE policy prohibits the use of performance-enhancing drugs, as well as other prescription drugs which can be abused, if taken for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician. For purposes of WWE's policy, prescriptions obtained over the Internet and/or from suppliers of prescription drugs from the Internet are not considered to have been given for a legitimate medical purpose.' Citing privacy issues, Davis declined to say whether WWE wrestlers have tested positive for banned substances since the policy was implemented."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: Randy Orton on steroids
« Reply #1: March 20, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
Steroids for wraslin?  That's for a different reason - it's not for any type of atheticism or recovery, they take it only to produce muscle mass, so that they look good in their speedos.   :roll:

« Reply #2: March 20, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »
Jesus Christ!  The media seriously needs to catch up!  Steriod use in professional wrestling has been going on since the 70s and scandals have already been found out and covered up.  This really is dirt old news and really shouldn't be that surprising.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #3: March 20, 2007, 07:01:06 PM »
Randy hasnt been a cool since 04 when he was on the steroids and was a total prick to everyone

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: March 20, 2007, 08:01:54 PM »
Steroids for wraslin?  That's for a different reason - it's not for any type of atheticism or recovery, they take it only to produce muscle mass, so that they look good in their speedos.   :roll:

No offense to you, but as a former pro-wrestling fan, I get really tired of this kind of ignorance.  Pro wrestling, even if it is scripted, requires a tremendous amount of skill.  I liken it to the NFL.  There are guys who are basically just big fat no-talent hacks, and then there are guys who are extraordinary athletes and could run, jump, and fly circles around most "real" athletes.  Prime-time marquee matches sometimes last upwards of an hour and require an incredible amount of endurance.

Also consider that most career pro-wrestlers would hold their own in any career-related injury contest.  I would specifically recommend reading "Have a Nice Day," the superbly done self-written (no ghost-writer) autobiography of one of pro-wrestling's better known personalities: Mick Foley (that's his real name, he's had many different "character" names).  Did I mention the book was #1 on the NY Times best-seller list for several weeks?

In short, just because pro-wrestling is "scripted" does not mean it is "fake."  Injuries can and quite often do happen, and there is just as much wheeling, dealing, back-stabbing, coming-of-age, paying-your-dues and all of that other stuff in wrestling as there is in any "real" sport, if not more.

Here's a nice bit from Foley's book:
"Now, we should probably get something straight. I know you didn't pay $25 (unless your cheap ass waited for the paperback) to have your intelligence insulted. I will not try to portray professional wrestling as being a 'real, competitive sport.' I will readily admit to occasionally stomping my foot on the mat, and always placing a greater emphasis on entertainment than on winning. I have however over the course of fifteen years of blood, sweat and tears, compiled a list of injuries that I would compare to that of any "legitimate" athlete. So unless otherwise noted, consider all injuries to be legit. In our strange little world of sports-entertainment, I hope you will see that life can be both 'real' and 'competitive'."

And that list of injuries (which is listed on an illustration in the back of the book) includes eight concussions, four front teeth knocked out, broken jaw, two broken noses, a broken right wrist, a bruised kidney, five broken ribs and two herniated discs, among other things.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: March 20, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
No offense to you, but as a former pro-wrestling fan, I get really tired of this kind of ignorance.  Pro wrestling, even if it is scripted, requires a tremendous amount of skill.  I liken it to the NFL.  There are guys who are basically just big fat no-talent hacks, and then there are guys who are extraordinary athletes and could run, jump, and fly circles around most "real" athletes.  Prime-time marquee matches sometimes last upwards of an hour and require an incredible amount of endurance.

Also consider that most career pro-wrestlers would hold their own in any career-related injury contest.  I would specifically recommend reading "Have a Nice Day," the superbly done self-written (no ghost-writer) autobiography of one of pro-wrestling's better known personalities: Mick Foley (that's his real name, he's had many different "character" names).  Did I mention the book was #1 on the NY Times best-seller list for several weeks?

In short, just because pro-wrestling is "scripted" does not mean it is "fake."  Injuries can and quite often do happen, and there is just as much wheeling, dealing, back-stabbing, coming-of-age, paying-your-dues and all of that other stuff in wrestling as there is in any "real" sport, if not more.

Here's a nice bit from Foley's book:
Good Post.  I was a huge wrestling fan in the late 90s and I am slowly getting back into it to a certain extent although it isn't nearly as good as it once was. 

« Reply #6: March 20, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Chief, that is a brilliant book done by a remarkable man.  If there is a true ambassador to pro wrestling, it is Mick Foley.

Some of the most memorable matches I have ever seen involve Foley.  From some of the most brutal matches as Cactus Jack to the immortal Hell in the Cell match (I thought his recollections in the book about this match was incredible) where I thought the Undertaker killed him, he was not only a great entertainer but athlete as well.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: March 20, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »
Never said that nobody ever got injured...I mean if I jump up and down on my bed and miss the landing...I would probably get well injured too.   :P  Difference of course is - they make a whole lotta money doin it!  Because there are a whole lotta people out there that would pay good money to watch grown men more or less jump up and down on a bed.  :D

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: March 20, 2007, 11:35:11 PM »
Never said that nobody ever got injured...I mean if I jump up and down on my bed and miss the landing...I would probably get well injured too.   :P  Difference of course is - they make a whole lotta money doin it!  Because there are a whole lotta people out there that would pay good money to watch grown men more or less jump up and down on a bed.  :D

I can assure you there is much more to it than that...  and the ring is not even close to being as soft as your bed.  You have to really learn how to take falls, or even the simplest "fake" move could put you in the hospital.  Then there are the real high-flyers...  the ones who literally catapult themselves all over the place, inside and outside the ring...  in this day and age it's honestly a miracle there haven't been a LOT more fatalities in pro wrestling.

But anyway...  I won't waste any more of my time or yours...  it's obvious you have a very set opinion about wrestling and no amount of words is going to change that.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #9: March 21, 2007, 12:43:32 AM »
Never said that nobody ever got injured...I mean if I jump up and down on my bed and miss the landing...I would probably get well injured too.   :P  Difference of course is - they make a whole lotta money doin it!  Because there are a whole lotta people out there that would pay good money to watch grown men more or less jump up and down on a bed.  :D
proof that you know next to nothing about wrestling.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #10: March 21, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »
and big shocker there, wrestlers on steroids?  that's new. *rolls eyes*

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: March 21, 2007, 01:03:45 AM »
OK, the choreography is I'm sure as complex as the fricking national ballet, but is it a sport?  I dunno, I watched it on TV 25+ years ago when Hulk Hogan and Sgt Slaughter were still involved, and it was great (then)...but what was "great" at age 12 might not fly once one enters the dismal miasma of the rest of ones life after 21.  But the book quoted from in this thread sounds like a good read, so I am planning on sussing it out.  Those guys are real athletes, no doubt about that, but I just can't tell whether the event is competitive or theatrical.

I can assure you there is much more to it than that...  and the ring is not even close to being as soft as your bed.  You have to really learn how to take falls, or even the simplest "fake" move could put you in the hospital.  Then there are the real high-flyers...  the ones who literally catapult themselves all over the place, inside and outside the ring...  in this day and age it's honestly a miracle there haven't been a LOT more fatalities in pro wrestling.

But anyway...  I won't waste any more of my time or yours...  it's obvious you have a very set opinion about wrestling and no amount of words is going to change that.

« Reply #12: March 21, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
Is cheerleading a sport?  Is billiards a sport?  Is NASCAR a sport?  Is Texas Holdem Poker a sport?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: March 21, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
I've never personally held pro wrestling to be a sport.  In fact the industry itself describes itself as "sports entertainment."  Nobody is trying to fool anyone anymore, everyone knows wrestling is scripted, but so are movies, and people enjoy them don't they?  Wrestling has come a long way since the days of Hulkamania.  Wrestling today is more akin to an elaborate acrobatics show with a healthy side of trash-talking soap opera.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: March 21, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »
proof that you know next to nothing about wrestling.
Well you won't get any arguments from me about that - haven't really followed it since I was about 15.   :P

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #15: March 21, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
I've never personally held pro wrestling to be a sport. 

me neither.  it's just entertainment. the same as any sitcom or episode of "24".

I don't see anyone running around shouting "24 is fake you suck for watching it!"  but people always say that about wrestling.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16: March 21, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »
me neither.  it's just entertainment. the same as any sitcom or episode of "24".

I don't see anyone running around shouting "24 is fake you suck for watching it!"  but people always say that about wrestling.

My favorite argument to use was "ER doesnt have real doctors".  I know wrestling is fake.  I like watchin people talk ridiculous amounts of crap or insult the city where they are currently performing.  I havent watched it in a while though.  I think interest comes and goes in cycles.

I just started watching 24 this year and that show is off the charts BS as much as Ryan Churchs depth perception is off the charts.  That show is ridic