Author Topic: Nationals Virginia License Plate  (Read 8128 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Nationals Virginia License Plate
« Reply #50: January 07, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
:lol: I was just joking around. Sorry.

Although, a green curly W for "Clean Special Fuel" Nats fans would be sweet.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: January 07, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Please  help us who are slow - what does this mean ?

triple play.  As in http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=27861.0

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #52: January 07, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
JAMMGE
TATERS

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #53: January 07, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »
3KEspi

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #55: January 10, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »
I'm a Virginia resident in the military currently stationed in California. My car will be paid off next month; does anyone back home know about info regarding having my car titled in VA even though I do not currently live there? I asked this question to the Va DMV online, but still have not received a response. I must have this tag on my car if Va makes it!

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #56: January 10, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »
I'm a Virginia resident in the military currently stationed in California. My car will be paid off next month; does anyone back home know about info regarding having my car titled in VA even though I do not currently live there? I asked this question to the Va DMV online, but still have not received a response. I must have this tag on my car if Va makes it!

I lived in Florida for 5 years while going to graduate school and was legally allowed to keep my car registered in VA because I was a student.  There might be a similar exemption for members of the military, but I don't know.  I'd recommend calling the Virginia DMV.  My experience with submitting questions via websites is that I rarely ever get a response.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #57: January 10, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »
  I believe the answer is yes - my father was in the Air Force and kept South Dakota (his home state) license plates when we moved to Virginia many years ago.  If you take a walk around the Pentagon parking lot, you can probably find plates from many of the 50 states.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #58: January 10, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
  I believe the answer is yes - my father was in the Air Force and kept South Dakota (his home state) license plates when we moved to Virginia many years ago.  If you take a walk around the Pentagon parking lot, you can probably find plates from many of the 50 states.
You can walk around my neighborhood, plenty of active duty folks living the region that keep their out of state tags.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: January 10, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
it depends on the state- different states give different benefits to active duty military. when my dad was in, we kept California residency since out of state military was exempt from state taxes, his medical license was in Pennsylvania (we never lived there) because active duty didn't have to pay fees and our car stayed south carolina after we moved there (break on fees)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: January 10, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

if you are a virginia resident you should be able to get a VA tag.  You need to check with CA though, typically if you have a car in a state for a certain # of days, you will be required to register the car in that state.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #61: January 10, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
what about BNGZM?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #62: January 10, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
triple play.  As in http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=27861.0

If I did all the work to get that set up, does that mean it's an unassisted triple play or does LomboLover and the Brunette get the assists?

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #63: January 10, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »
Wow!! Tons of answers! Thanks guys. I don't think California will make me register/tag my car here since Im not a resident; most of the neighbors who live nearby have kept their out of state tags for years with no apparent problems.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #64: January 11, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
Wow!! Tons of answers! Thanks guys. I don't think California will make me register/tag my car here since Im not a resident; most of the neighbors who live nearby have kept their out of state tags for years with no apparent problems.

What makes you think you're not a resident?  Generally if you live somewhere for more than half the year (183 days) you're considered a resident.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc516.htm

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: January 11, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
What makes you think you're not a resident?  Generally if you live somewhere for more than half the year (183 days) you're considered a resident.

active duty military- a lot of the time you're resident where you lived when you signed up (or if you choose somewhere you've been stationed). I spent the first 19 years of my life(until my father retired) as a california resident despite having only lived there for a couple of months after birth

here's the explanation

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/Staff/osja/repository/legal_residence.pdf

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #66: January 11, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

active duty military- a lot of the time you're resident where you lived when you signed up (or if you choose somewhere you've been stationed). I spent the first 19 years of my life(until my father retired) as a california resident despite having only lived there for a couple of months after birth

here's the explanation

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/Staff/osja/repository/legal_residence.pdf

Back in the day, I kept my original tags.    Gotta be careful in VA though.   We have some crazy rules with the "car tax" but also some very loose interpretations because of the large military presence.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #67: January 12, 2013, 04:27:27 AM »

I'd bet the farm I'm not a resident here. Unless I sign paperwork stating such, I'm good unless I don't reenlist. DMV finally returned my call today, I'm good to register my car there once the paperwork has been sent. Trust me, VA fees are much cheaper then California's policy. I don't know why people want to still live out here, they want to charge me $375 for a 9 year old car.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #68: January 12, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »
Let me apologize to you tomterp, I came off sounding negative towards your post. I love this state for its beauty, I just dispize it's overcrowding and the way it's ran. Being that my vehicle is over 5 years old, it must be smogged biannually. This wasn't an issue until this year when several smog techs refused to smog my vehicle since it didn't have all of the factory components installed. I bought the car used, never changed anything on it, however it has several aftermarket components installed from the previous owner. I had enough after that, and I refuse to pay this state anymore on a car I put less then 2K a year in miles. Since I'm able to register my car in Va due to my job, I decided I'd rather deal with Va then California's rediculos policies; hence why I'm showing extreme intrest in Nats plates if Va decides to print them. Thank you though sir for taking the time to post Ca's policy on regestering vehicles in their state, I hope other Nats fans in my area see this info you posted if they are intrested.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #69: January 12, 2013, 08:25:07 AM »
Let me apologize to you tomterp

No apologies necessary.  I figured there ought to be a military loophole/exemption but didn't see reference to it in my initial search. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #70: January 12, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »
I'm good unless I don't reenlist.

Thank you though sir for taking the time to post Ca's policy on regestering vehicles in their state, I hope other Nats fans in my area see this info you posted if they are intrested.

BTW  ...  Tom is an enlisted man.   The Chief is the OIC.   ;)

Offline Busta Mimes

• I'll Ram the hell out of you
« Reply #71: January 12, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
they want to charge me $375 for a 9 year old car.

Wow.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #72: January 12, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
Wow.
yes it's rediculos. I don't know why it's so much all of a sudden and it maybe blue-books at only 7-8k.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #73: January 12, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
Wow.

Wasn't long ago Virginia was the nation's leader in taxing the value of cars.   :old:

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #74: January 12, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
When did you guys finally do away with the county stickers on the windshield? Those, along with the inspection decal are a pain to remove.