Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: "Solid" Sammy Solis, LHP  (Read 23679 times)

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Follow the Prospects: Sammy Solis, LHP
« Reply #75: February 28, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Solis needs TJ surgery re Zuckerman.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #76: February 28, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
Solis needs TJ surgery re Zuckerman.

Sad.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #77: February 28, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
Linty wins. Wow the Nats really wasted a lot of time with him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #78: February 28, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
Linty wins. Wow the Nats really wasted a lot of time with him.

Not something I wanted to be right about.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #79: February 28, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
That sucks.  It's not like he is dead or something.  Get the surgery.  Come back healthy.  Work his way up.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #80: February 28, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
Very unfortunate.  The best scenario here is that the rehab goes well and all the other lingering injuries he has experienced over the last few years will heal up.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #81: February 28, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
Best case he pitches in the minors in 2013.  Probably won't sniff the majors until 14' or 15' at the earliest.  Sucks for him.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #82: February 28, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
Best case he pitches in the minors in 2013.  Probably won't sniff the majors until 14' or 15' at the earliest.  Sucks for him.

yeah, one year from now he's in minors spring training, probably pitches at Harrisburg or Potomac to start.  Hopefully he is in a position to see time in the majors in 2014.

No worries though, we're pretty well set at SP for the next few years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: February 28, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
Imref - well, Jackson and Wang are FAs, and Lannan and Detwiler are what they are.  We kind of could use one of our higher end pitching prospects to push for a position next year. Purke and Meyer have their own issues, so it would have been nice to have the Solis option.  He was in out top 10 / 15 and ahead of the rest of the starting prospects not drafted last year.   

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #84: February 28, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
The Nationals were probably hoping to have Solis as a depth option for later in this season and the loss of Meyers to the Yankees was unfortunate (though he could still be returned).  Luckily, they have three left-handed pitchers in Lannan, Detwiler, Gorzelanny that can provide depth.  The problem there is that Lannan is the only one with options and the Nats will need an injury, trade, or creative solution to keep all of those guys.  Ultimately what Solis' injury means is that Rosenbaum is going to be the next pitching prospect in line to get called up.  He has put up some impressive numbers the last couple seasons and will definitely get an opportunity, hopefully he can run with it like Peacock and Milone did last season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #85: February 28, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
I mean, it sounds like there was fair warning in August that he needed surgery. Why jerk him around all the way to March, then do the surgery, effectively eliminating a 2012 season for him?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #86: February 28, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
I mean, it sounds like there was fair warning in August that he needed surgery. Why jerk him around all the way to March, then do the surgery, effectively eliminating a 2012 season for him?
Rizzo and co. botched this plain and simple. Bad decision

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #87: February 28, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
i'm not as rough on the medical staff as most on here, but yeah they took a huge gamble by saying ... "hey i know you're hurting now, but just rest and come to spring training camp and we'll deal with it then" ... lost lots of time there, i don't get it.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #88: February 28, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Rizzo and co. botched this plain and simple. Bad decision

Solis was throwing well in the AFL.

So while  I agree the Nats wasted a few months after he was shut down in November, in all likelihood he would have missed all of 2012 anyways.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #89: February 28, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »
Quote from: NationalsPR
Nationals prospect LHP Sammy Solis will have 'Tommy John' surgery next Tuesday by Dr. Lewis Yocum in LA.
It's officially Tommy John. Too bad.

Online imref

« Reply #90: February 28, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
i'm not as rough on the medical staff as most on here, but yeah they took a huge gamble by saying ... "hey i know you're hurting now, but just rest and come to spring training camp and we'll deal with it then" ... lost lots of time there, i don't get it.

The earlier articles said there was a difference of medical opinion.  I really can't see the Nats staff trying to delay surgery for any nefarious reason.  If there's some chance that he didn't need TJ, then there's no reason to put him through it (and I'm guessing Solis and his agent have some say in the matter).

Nevertheless, he'll get through it and back back for next year's spring training.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #91: February 28, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
If there's some chance that he didn't need TJ, then there's no reason to put him through it.

Kilgore just quoted Rizzo as basically saying the same thing (citing the difference of medical opinions).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-prospect-sammy-solis-may-need-tommy-john-surgery/2012/02/28/gIQANOdVgR_blog.html

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #92: February 28, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
This sucks for Solis.  He's had more than his share of injuries. 

It is weird that pretty much all of the Nats top pitching prospects go through this.  I wonder if there is something systemic there that they could fix - maybe not enough of a focus on mechanics? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: February 28, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
My theory is PotCan is snooping around and cutting UCLs.

Online imref

« Reply #94: February 28, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
Solis first experienced elbow discomfort last December after an impressive performance in the prospect-laden Arizona Fall League. At that point, the Nationals put Solis through physical tests to determine if he needed Tommy John surgery and gave him an MRI. The MRI showed a possible, but passed the physical tests. Douoguih then recommended Tommy John surgery, but a second opinion differed.

Because Solis passed the physical tests, the Nationals followed a plan to rest him for a month and then let him build arm strength slowly at their accelerated minor league camp. Solis had thrown multiple side sessions before he injured himself Friday.

“I thought we had dodged a bullet there,” Rizzo said. “We always knew that this was a possibility. We felt that instead of cutting on him right away, we felt maybe we could through this with rehabilitation. And we couldn’t. It cost us a couple of months. We felt if two doctors weren’t 100 percent sure that Tommy John is needed, I wasn’t going to be the one to say it was needed.”

Sanity.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #95: February 29, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »
Will Carroll ‏ @injuryexpert

Top Nats prospect Sammy Solis to have Tommy John. The Nats need to get a handle on their team's elbows. #ASMI

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #96: February 29, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »
Bummer

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #97: February 29, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »

i mean it's not their fault SS/JZ/Solis all had TJ surgery ... these things happen ... but again, I'll agree the way they handled Solis was not the right way.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #98: February 29, 2012, 10:13:42 AM »
i mean it's not their fault SS/JZ/Solis all had TJ surgery ... these things happen ... but again, I'll agree the way they handled Solis was not the right way.

We've had a TJ surgery victim 3 out of the last 4 years. Is that a coincidence?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #99: February 29, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

I dunno. If there was a difference of opinion between doctors, do you really want to force surgery on a player if it may not be necessary? Either way it's a shame, but at least the team has experience now with dealing with the recovery aspect... sadly.