Author Topic: Another friend lost to a drunk driver  (Read 869 times)

Offline bob2274

Another friend lost to a drunk driver
« Topic Start: July 08, 2007, 10:40:09 PM »
A Richmond Police officer, John E. Kelly, who had nearly seven years on the force was killed early this morning in a boat crash on a lake in upstate New York.

This afternoon, authorities in Onondaga County where the crash occurred, said that the man initially charged with operating the boat while intoxicated was not the driver, according to The Post-Standard newspaper of Syracuse, N.Y.

The Onondaga County Sheriff's office had charged Brian J. Cordes, 25, of Syracuse with boating while intoxicated, according to a press release.

But witnesses told investigators that another man, who authorities have identified as Cordes' older brother, 32-year old Craig Cordes of Syracuse, was operating the boat at the time of the crash, The Post-Standard reported.

According to that newspaper, Craig Cordes, faces charges of boating while intoxicated and two counts of second-degree manslaughter. The newspaper said the older Cordes is a second-year law student at the University of Arizona whose younger brother lied to authorities to protect him.

Messages left for investigators with the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office were not returned last night.

An unidentified female was in the boat with Kelly when it was struck. Kelly died at the crash site. The woman died at the State University of New York's Upstate Medical University, where she had been transported for treatment.

The crash occurred around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning on Skaneateles Lake in Onondaga County, N.Y. One of the Finger Lakes, Skaneateles is located about 35 miles southwest of Syracuse, N.Y.

Kelly was vacationing with family in the area, according to Richmond Police. He was not married.

The Onondaga County Sheriff's Office initially charged 25-year old Brian J. Cordes of Syracuse with boating while intoxicated, according to a press release issued by that department.

Richmond Police spokeswoman Cynthia Price said department officials have advised local authorities that additional charges are pending.

Kelly was in an 18-foot Sea-Ray boat that was struck by 20-foot Mastercraft boat carrying Cordes and his friends that was heading south on the lake. Their boat was heading south on the lake. The Onondaga County release said that the boat continued traveling south after striking Kelly's boat. A witness contacted authorities about the crash.

Kelly joined the Richmond Police Department in November 2000 after graduating from the 84th Recruit Academy.

"Officer Kelly was a pleasant, positive and dedicated employee," said Third Precinct Commander Capt. David Martin in a written statement. "He was an officer who enjoyed interacting with the community. This is a shock for the department and particularly for Third Precinct."

Funeral arrangements for Kelly have not been finalized.

"Obviously it's a tragedy for the department," said Price, noting that his fellow Third Precinct officers are declining to talk to the press about Kelly at this point.

By Julian Walker
Richmond Times-Dispatch Staff Writer

My intention in posting this article was not to lay blame. This is the second friend of mine to lose their life in four months because of drunk driving. The accident a few months ago was a single vehicle accident that was driver error,

What I wanted to do here was to make people on this board (especially the younger ones) aware of what can happen when you get into a car (or even boat) and drive after having too much to drink. Everyone thinks that they can control it and that it won't happen to them. When it does, they panic and come up with a crazy story like they did here. Either way, everyone involved will have to live with this forever.

I'm not claiming that I'm perfect, and I love to drink beer. A lot of other sports fans like me enjoy beers at the games too. The sports teams, bars and restaurants, and the alcohol industry seem to project the message of "don't drink and drive, but make sure you drink". We have tons of restaurants and bars in the suburbs where everyone there is encouraged to drink, then sent on their way when the only way home is to drive. All I'm asking here is please plan ahead, and find another way to get there before you start drinking. It's so bad in the city that I stay off the road after about 10PM when I'm not at work. I know I'm overly paranoid because of what I've seen at work, but I'm just scared I'll end up on the wrong side while going through an intersection.

nospinzone1

Re: Another friend lost to a drunk driver
« Reply #1: July 08, 2007, 11:24:24 PM »
MAY HE REST IN PEACE