Destin Hood
Alex Meyer
Chris Marrero
Brad Peacock
Brian Goodwin
Tom Milone
Steve Lombardozi
Other (Explain)

Author Topic: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #4 Prospect  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #4 Prospect
« Topic Start: August 14, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »
Voting closes on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 5 p.m.

Offline Nats113437

Re: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #4 Prospect
« Reply #1: August 14, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
Did Rendon and Purke go 2 & 3?  I guess you're not superstitious. :)  Might have to start this all over on Tuesday.

Offline RD

« Reply #2: August 14, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
I use to go with Peacock in this spot, but in making the case for Purke at this spot, most of it is his ability as a front line starter. Cole has more potential than Peacock IMO.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: August 14, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
Voted for Cole last time. I suppose I'll vote for him here.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #4: August 14, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »

Ditto.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #5: August 15, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »

Same

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #6: August 15, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
I'm surprised Peacock is getting so many votes, only because I wouldn't put him in my top 5...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #7: August 15, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
I'm surprised Peacock is getting so many votes, only because I wouldn't put him in my top 5...

Who do you have at #5?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: August 15, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
Norris is my #4 (power, plate discipline, position), Hood (upside being realized) is my #5.

[edit - I meant Norris is #5, Hood #6;  I have Cole up above.  I was mixed up what number we were on. Those are my picks after Cole.  I don't disagree on the top 3.]

Offline RD

« Reply #9: August 15, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
Im actually surprised Peacock hasn't made it a closer race. IMO, the top 5, no matter how you rank them is Harper, Rendon, Purke, Cole, and Peacock.

There's a lot more talent but guys like Hood, Meyer, and Norris IMO have bigger pressing questions or haven't proven enough at a high enough level to push any of those guys down.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #10: August 15, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
Norris is my #4 (power, plate discipline, position), Hood (upside being realized) is my #5.

Yup, exactly my thoughts. Peacock is probably #6 for me.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #11: August 15, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
Im actually surprised Peacock hasn't made it a closer race. IMO, the top 5, no matter how you rank them is Harper, Rendon, Purke, Cole, and Peacock.
There's a lot more talent but guys like Hood, Meyer, and Norris IMO have bigger pressing questions or haven't proven enough at a high enough level to push any of those guys down.

In total agreement with you here(crossing my fingers for Purke to sign). Hood to me is not top 5 because he hasn't proven he can perform in AA plus he's projecting to be a corner OF bat right now and most likely will play left field, not a premium position. Meyer(might have the highest upside of any pitcher in our organization but hasn't thrown a pro pitch and is inconsistent so I can not put him ahead of a guy who has proven himself in AA). Norris didn't have the breakout season many were expecting, Peacock has had the breakout season. Peacock was number 42 on BA's midseason top 50(http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/midseason-top-50-prospects-list/) there's no way he's not one of our top 5 prospects.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: August 15, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »

I corrected the post before you.  I lost track where we were.  I agree on the top 4.  I disagree on Peacock v. Norris because I'm a skeptic about Peacock being more than a reliever.  I view Norris more likely to hit for an acceptable average (.240, I/M/O) and keep the power, plate discipline, and his ability to stick in position than Peacock to develop the 3d pitch he'll need to start.  But this is based on reports and not watching them.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #13: August 15, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
Can we get a pointer to the post that names who the top 3 are, please.

Or, put it in the top of the post with the poll.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #14: August 15, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Top 3 right now are:
1. Harper
2. Rendon
3. Purke

A list would be helpful at the top of each post.

Offline RD

« Reply #15: August 15, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
I corrected the post before you.  I lost track where we were.  I agree on the top 4.  I disagree on Peacock v. Norris because I'm a skeptic about Peacock being more than a reliever.  I view Norris more likely to hit for an acceptable average (.240, I/M/O) and keep the power, plate discipline, and his ability to stick in position than Peacock to develop the 3d pitch he'll need to start.  But this is based on reports and not watching them.

My stance on Peacock is that relieving is definitely his floor, which is a benefit to his stock. He should be able to impact the big club in one way or another.

But, I think the relieving stuff is an old knock. That was all we heard last year around AFL time, and with him being a reliever there with some success, that's what his scouting report read entering the year. But he took a step up this year in AA. His command was better, and he has two plus pitches. AA isnt the bigs, but to dominate like he did at that level with his current arsenal is a positive. While he does need to develop a change up to reach his potential, the growth he's shown from this year to last is a huge positive. I still think his future is as a starter. After a rocky first start in AAA, hes pitched very well overall(albeit with some command issues).

At this point, Im more comfortable with him cracking the rotation as a #5 or being an impact late inning reliever than I am with Norris being an every day catcher. And Im still a Norris fan. He's either 6 or 7 on the list IMO. I think he's got more to work on and improve on than Peacock does to have an impact in the bigs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: August 15, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
After the first 4 ranking being a bit boring, I suspect the next 4 will be quite interesting: in some order, Peacock, Hood, Norris, and Lombardozzi.  I suppose some of the other draft choices could get into this mix, too.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #17: August 15, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »
After the first 4 ranking being a bit boring, I suspect the next 4 will be quite interesting: in some order, Peacock, Hood, Norris, and Lombardozzi.  I suppose some of the other draft choices could get into this mix, too.

Alex Meyer could crack that list...