Author Topic: amazing belliard highlight reel (pre-nationals)  (Read 4485 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: amazing belliard highlight reel (pre-nationals)
« Reply #50: February 05, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Name calling isn't always an indicator that the arguer has run out of logical basis. I usually like to sling a name or two early in the battle while there are still poison tipped arrows in the quiver.  :lol:  Of course on the other hand, that may not bode well for my personal reserve of logic :?

« Reply #51: February 05, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
:lol:, I guess when the arguers start repeating their same arguments, then it's obvious they've exhausted logic and have resorted to hoping to win the battle of attrition.  To be honest, I sort of zoned out on the arguments after the first 10 or 12 and so I can't really state with certainty that the same arguments were repeated, but that would be my test.

So repeating same argument, flip the kill switch.

Again, that is you, personally.  Just because YOU personally have bored with what is being argued/discussed does not mean others have.  Where do you draw the line?

Another trigger would be name calling   :rant:.  Not that some of the name calling isn't amusing, but it is a strong indicator that the arguer has once again run out of logical basis and has to resort to plan B.  I dont' recall this trigger being reached yet (though my eyes were glazing over after a while), but it has been known to occur with at least one of the posters involved in this argument case study.   :nono:   :P

Half our population would already have been nixed if we did it like this! :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #52: February 05, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
:lol:, I guess when the arguers start repeating their same arguments, then it's obvious they've exhausted logic and have resorted to hoping to win the battle of attrition.  To be honest, I sort of zoned out on the arguments after the first 10 or 12 and so I can't really state with certainty that the same arguments were repeated, but that would be my test.

I do repeat when someone misinteprets (intentionally or not) what I have written, often in an attempt to clear my name in case other people are reading, so they dont think I advocate something like free-style baseball when fundamental baseball is an option.  then i try to introduce more examples which i think enforce my argument in the hope that one of them will make a light bulb go off. i get a little frustrated when the examples are not acknowledged as either being valid or perhaps invalid.  They are just ignored.  Perhaps that should be a signal to abandon the argument. Then i introduce more hoping they will be acknowledged. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #53: February 05, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Belliard and Dukes threads always become argument threads of some kind. I blame AZ.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #54: February 05, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »
rereading through this. i can find a turning point where this could have ended

my first example is the derek jeter flip in oakland. why is jeter glorified for doing that and belliard criticized for his play?

three choices:

a) jeter shouldnt have tried that just like belliard shouldnt have tried that

b) (possibly what you alluded to when you said not to compare jeter and belliard) only good players like derek jeter can do that. although i would tend to disagree that plays like this are what make jeter better than belliard.  so it seems irrelevant. also i think tomterp could produce some study that jeter is a bad defender. additionally, jeter's fielding percentage is consistently in about the .970's and belliard's in about the .980's, indicating that on balls that each gets to, belliard makes the play more often

c) both jeter and belliard made good plays

i cant think of any more possible answers to my question. if you would like to add one feel free.

« Reply #55: February 05, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
rereading through this. i can find a turning point where this could have ended

my first example is the derek jeter flip in oakland. why is jeter glorified for doing that and belliard criticized for his play?

three choices:

a) jeter shouldnt have tried that.

b) (possibly what you alluded to when you said not to compare jeter and belliard) only good players like derek jeter can do that. although i would tend to disagree that plays like this are what make jeter better than belliard.  so it seems irrelevant. also i think tomterp could produce some study that jeter is a bad defender. additionally, jeter's fielding percentage is consistently in about the .970's and belliard's in about the .980's, indicating that on balls that each gets to, belliard makes the play more often

c) belliard made a good play to get an out.

i cant think of any more possible answers to my question. if you would like to add one feel free.

You still stuck on this Dave?  Come on, we've had 24 hours of this.  Time to move on.  I don't agree with your logic, you don't agree with mine.  Thats just going to have to be what it is.

I'd buy you a beer if I could.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #56: February 05, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »
I have to say, the fact that he got the ball there made that play look cool and all, but he had PLENTY of time to turn and throw.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #57: February 05, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
You still stuck on this Dave?  Come on, we've had 24 hours of this.  Time to move on.  I don't agree with your logic, you don't agree with mine.  Thats just going to have to be what it is.

I'd buy you a beer if I could.

a), b), or c) its easy

« Reply #58: February 05, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
a), b), or c) its easy

Okay, I'll bite if it will put your heart at rest:

I'll go with c.) he made a good play and made a good out, which I have never denied.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #59: February 05, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
I have to say, the fact that he got the ball there made that play look cool and all, but he had PLENTY of time to turn and throw.

i dont know about plenty. i'll say maybe he had enough time.  but in that split second, you gotta go with what immediately comes to your head. i dont think he had time to consciously decide to hot dog it.  i'lll trust the instincts of the guy who is good enough to make it to the major leagues.  if it was conscious, then he was probably pretty sure he could get it there.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #60: February 05, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Okay, I'll bite if it will put your heart at rest:

I'll go with c.) he made a good play and made a good out, which I have never denied.

you might bave caught me leaving a loophole. i should have said good decision. but whatever

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #61: February 05, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I actually think that falling away throw was better than the flip. So much more effort and skill goes into that play.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #62: February 05, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »
Anyone else notice on this video around 00:43-00:57 that the guy was safe...by far? :D

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #63: February 05, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »
Anyone else notice on this video around 00:43-00:57 that the guy was safe...by far? :D

regardless, it was still an amazingly acrobatic throw. belly is the king of the fadeaway.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #64: February 05, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »
regardless, it was still an amazingly acrobatic throw. belly is the king of the fadeaway.

Right.  I'm thinking the umpire awarded Belliard a 0.2 second deduction from his ball-in-flight time as an appropriate style points adjustment.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #65: February 05, 2008, 06:13:13 PM »
Right.  I'm thinking the umpire awarded Belliard a 0.2 second deduction from his ball-in-flight time as an appropriate style points adjustment.

:rofl:

They really do do that in a way.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #66: February 05, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »

AZ would find something amazing about a youtube video of Belliard taking a crap.