Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25968 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #400: August 27, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
More to the point about it not being a matter of knowing the ground rule:  The ball hit off the top of the railing, which in most parks is a homerun but not in this case.  No matter: the real point is, I seriously doubt that the batter or runner could tell that it hit off the top of the rail, not unless they stopped running and pulled binoculars out of their pockets.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #401: August 27, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
I seriously doubt that the batter or runner could tell that it hit off the top of the rail, not unless they stopped running and pulled binoculars out of their pockets.

Lerners wouldn't buy binoculars.   :)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #402: August 27, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
I don't care about ground rules.

If there is any doubt at all you run the bases hard. No shame is running hard and earning a double or triple and then having the umpire send you home. There is definite embarrassment when what happened yesterday occurs.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #403: August 27, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
Exaclty my sentiments yesterday when it happened.   This is more of a "head up the ass" moment.

Yeah. LaRoche is around 1st heading for 2B before the ball comes down. Then he goes into a trot. The 1B coach isn't going to have a say there. It is up to the player to pick up the 3B coach. I haven't seen video showing Bo. He could have been putting up a hold sign, and LaRoche wasn't even paying attention.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #404: August 27, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

If there is any doubt at all you run the bases hard. No shame is running hard and earning a double or triple and then having the umpire send you home. There is definite embarrassment when what happened yesterday occurs.

Yup

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #405: August 28, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »
Hit Strasburg when down 6-0 with two runners on base

Davey is a senile old man

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #406: August 28, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »

Run the bases like you are Bryce Harper.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #407: August 28, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »

Davey is a senile old man
You want to burn up the bullpen?

Online Slateman

« Reply #408: August 28, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
You want to burn up the bullpen?

We're a week away from September call ups and the pen got the day off yesterday.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #409: August 28, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
blah blah blah

Get serious

Online Slateman

« Reply #410: August 28, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
Seriously?

Why are we burning Strasburg's innings. Gio and Jackson. Those are the guys you leave out there. They're the ones that can go over 200 innings.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #411: August 29, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

First of all, Strasburg is roughly as likely to get on base as anyone that could have pinch hit.
Second, as to the issue of saving Srasburg's innings:  Is it not yet apparent that he needs to be shut down now? Not at 160, not at 180 - now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #412: August 29, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »
First of all, Strasburg is roughly as likely to get on base as anyone that could have pinch hit.
Second, as to the issue of saving Srasburg's innings:  Is it not yet apparent that he needs to be shut down now? Not at 160, not at 180 - now.

Not necessarily, but I suppose everyone who said that it was obvious he didn't need to be shutdown after his last start changed their mind. :shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #413: August 29, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Not necessarily, but I suppose everyone who said that it was obvious he didn't need to be shutdown after his last start changed their mind. :shrug:

I missed most of the game (thankfully) but the little I saw showed a lot of 94 mph fastballs.  What happened to 96?

Offline RL04

« Reply #414: August 29, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

If there is any doubt at all you run the bases hard. No shame is running hard and earning a double or triple and then having the umpire send you home.

This.

As I say in the GD threads - MLB baserunners, dumbest humans on the planet.

Offline Clever

« Reply #415: August 29, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
Posters on message boards= Smartest peepul on the planit

Online Slateman

« Reply #416: August 29, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »

Seriously, first is full of crap. If that's true, then why have Chad Tracy at all. They should DFA him and use Strasburg as a pinch hitter. We can call up Lannan and go to a 6 man rotation and have Strasburg available for at least the first round of the playoffs.

Second, he is getting shut down. This is understood. The doctors want him shut down. Rizzo wants him shut down. Boras wants him shut down. He needs to be shut down. There is too much evidence to igore on the issue of young power pitchers throwing too many innings early in their career. The TJS only makes more of a case.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #417: August 29, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Hire Riggleman.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #418: August 29, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
he's so good when it comes to calling team meetings.

Offline Clever

« Reply #419: August 29, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
I think he's only allowed to manage the team with the worst record in baseball.

Online Slateman

« Reply #420: September 01, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »
Why is  Jordan Zimmermann still in the game when it's obvious he sucks today?

Offline GSW

« Reply #421: September 02, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
Who is the manager ???? I thought Rizzo was!! (He sure acts like it)   :mg:

Maybe Riggleman was not the problem  :roll:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #422: September 02, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
I haven't criticized a move Davey has made all season, until today.  Batting Moore for Bernadina in the 8th was just plain dumb. You want Bernadina, not Moore, in left, with a one-run lead in the ninth.  There were two outs and nobody on base when he made the move, so it isn't as if Moore was likely to spark a rally.  If it was a lefty vs. righty consideration (it was a lefthanded pitcher) I don't buy that either because Bernadina has been hitting quite well against lefthanders.   I'm just glad the move didn't backfire (nobody hit a ball anywhere near leftfield in the ninth).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #423: September 02, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
I haven't criticized a move Davey has made all season, until today.  Batting Moore for Bernadina in the 8th was just plain dumb. You want Bernadina, not Moore, in left, with a one-run lead in the ninth.  There were two outs and nobody on base when he made the move, so it isn't as if Moore was likely to spark a rally.  If it was a lefty vs. righty consideration (it was a lefthanded pitcher) I don't buy that either because Bernadina has been hitting quite well against lefthanders.   I'm just glad the move didn't backfire (nobody hit a ball anywhere near leftfield in the ninth).

Hard to quibble with a replacement player being replaced.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #424: September 02, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Hard to quibble with a replacement player being replaced.
Pretty much this.