Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27713 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Minimal, absolute minimal. I'd much rather win a DCS as a wild card than go one and done as a division winner.

Do people remember a division winner who doesn't advance or a DCS winner who doesn't advance? It's arguable either way but I sure would like the Nats to win the division at this point.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Minimal, absolute minimal. I'd much rather win a DCS as a wild card than go one and done as a division winner.

That's completely beside the point.  If you give me the choice between a wild-card World Series champion or a division winning LDS loser, obviously I want the world champion.  But that's hypothetical.  The point is the division is something, and it's more than "nice."  I want the division because I've watched crappy baseball for seven seasons and I want a pennant on display in Nats park and I want the Phillies, Braves, Mets, and Marlins to be facing the division champions when they come here next year.   If they win the division, home field would be icing on the cake and would help in the postseason, but I wouldn't be nearly as upset if they missed out on that as I would be if they blew the division.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
That's completely beside the point.  If you give me the choice between a wild-card World Series champion or a division winning LDS loser, obviously I want the world champion.  But that's hypothetical.  The point is the division is something, and it's more than "nice."  I want the division because I've watched crappy baseball for seven seasons and I want a pennant on display in Nats park and I want the Phillies, Braves, Mets, and Marlins to be facing the division champions when they come here next year.   If they win the division, home field would be icing on the cake and would help in the postseason, but I wouldn't be nearly as upset if they missed out on that as I would be if they blew the division.

You completely misread my post.

Offline PebbleBall

You completely misread my post.

I'm a little tense over the whole pennant race thing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Added the home wild card as it guarantees a home playoff game at Nats Park.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
Re: Magic Numbers: 12-home field 8-division
« Reply #355: September 20, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »

If I were confident we could win a one-game winner take all to secure the wild card, I would not mind losing the division. I'm not, so I to.

This is a great first step but our magic number is 8.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
If the Nats win less than 4 and the Braves lose less than 4, I will eat my hat.

Offline loshjott

And they need to beat out the Cards to guarantee the #1 WC and a home game.

Offline eddiejc1

Do you mean this upcoming homestand against the Brewers? I hope you're right, but remember---Wang is pitching Sunday!

Offline eddiejc1

And that's damn important. The Nats have their eyes on the division, and they should but it's going to be important for us fans to see at least one more game at Nats Park in October.

Offline PebbleBall

Comes down to this weekend for the Braves, b/c there aren't four losses in that final 9 for sure.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Likely to be a few updates to the magic numbers over the next little bit.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Nats will host a minimum of one home playoff game.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Braves are already up 3-0 in the top of the first.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
With the Nats win today, I think the magic number dropped to six. Nats can be no worse than 5.5 games ahead of Atlanta by tomorrow morning. From my days as a half-fan of the Yankees in the '90s, I like the point when the magic number crosses the games-ahead.

Offline sportsfan882

Halladay taking it in the ass?

Offline eddiejc1

PB, shouldn't the magic number to clinch home field advantage in the NLDS be 8, and home field in the NLCS be 11? I know that if head-to-head record broke a tie we would win against the Giants, but I'm not so sure about the Reds.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
PB, shouldn't the magic number to clinch home field advantage in the NLDS be 8, and home field in the NLCS be 11? I know that if head-to-head record broke a tie we would win against the Giants, but I'm not so sure about the Reds.

ESPN shows the Magic Number for the Nats as 5, is that because we won the head to head series with the Braves and would then have the tiebreaker?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/huntforoctober

We also have head to head series wins against Reds and Giants, but not sure if that's the tiebreaker though :shrug:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
No it should be 6.

Its any combination of Braves Losses and Nats Wins.  Braves lost last night so it went to 7.  Today's Nats win makes it 6.  Braves loss would have made it 5!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
We have the tiebreaker against both the Reds and Giants; in case of a tie with the Braves there will be a tie breaker game.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
We have the tiebreaker against both the Reds and Giants; in case of a tie with the Braves there will be a tie breaker game.

In honor of Bucky Dent.

Offline sportsfan882

Braves tinkering their rotation to set up Medlen to pitch in the wild card playoff game

Manager Fredi Gonzalez has altered his rotation to line Kris Medlen up to start the one-game playoff the Braves will play if they gain entry to the postseason with one of the National League's two Wild Card entries.

Though there is still an outside chance the Braves could win the National League East, Gonzalez and pitching coach Roger McDowell had to start making plans for this one-game playoff, which is scheduled to be played between the NL's two Wild Card entrants on Oct. 5. The winner will advance to the Division Series.

If the Braves win the one-game playoff with Medlen on the mound, Tim Hudson would start Game 1 of the Division Series. The adjustments to the rotation also allow Hudson to start the one-game playoff if necessary.

"It's no secret. Medlen has been our best pitcher for the better part of a month or two now," Hudson said. "He definitely has to pitch important games for us, whether it be the first one or the second one. He's the guy we've got to lean on. We've been leaning on him for a while now."

Medlen has compiled a 0.76 ERA and limited opponents to a .195 batting average in the 10 starts he has made since moving from the bullpen to the starting rotation. The Braves have won each of the past 21 games started by Medlen dating back to 2010.

If Medlen pitches the one-game playoff, he would be available to pitch Game 3 of the Division Series on regular rest. Hudson will be available to start Games 1 and 5 in the best-of-five series.

"In games like that, you want your best guys ready to go," Hudson said. "I don't think it's any secret that [Medlen] has not only been one of our best pitchers, but one of the best pitchers in the game for the past month and a half."

To put Medlen in line to start the potential one-game playoff, Gonzalez simply flip-flopped the red-hot pitcher with Paul Maholm in the rotation. Medlen will now start Tuesday against the Marlins and then make his final regular-season start in the Braves' home finale on Sept. 30.

Maholm will start Wednesday's game against the Marlins, and the struggling Tommy Hanson will make at least one more start on Thursday.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Braves tinkering their rotation to set up Medlen to pitch in the wild card playoff game

Setting us up for a very tough matchup in our first ever home playoff game.  Wish they'd just shut him down.

Offline sportsfan882

Setting us up for a very tough matchup in our first ever home playoff game.  Wish they'd just shut him down.
True but we would get Hudson/Minor in Games 1 and 2. We've dominated Hudson this year (he's owned in the past though) and Minor has been great but he's beatable.

Still, right now I think we will end up facing the Giants.