Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2012)  (Read 164708 times)

Offline blue911

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2012)
« Reply #75: February 03, 2012, 07:48:26 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if this recent relapse causes Hamilton to drop a lot of the god talk.  That's one thing a lot of addicts discover when the night gets darkest - only you can control what you do, not god, not some higher power, you.  Some people can't deal with that.

Faith based rehabilitation programs have a terrible recidivism rate.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #76: February 03, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
Maybe he should just live in Provo in the offseason

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #77: February 03, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if this recent relapse causes Hamilton to drop a lot of the god talk.  That's one thing a lot of addicts discover when the night gets darkest - only you can control what you do, not god, not some higher power, you.  Some people can't deal with that.

Doubt it.  I bet it increases it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #78: February 03, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
Doubt it.  I bet it increases it.

Then he's a fool.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #79: February 03, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
I'm a huge Josh Hamilton fan and credit him for coming out and releasing that brief public statement. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #80: February 03, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
I'm a huge Josh Hamilton fan and credit him for coming out and releasing that brief public statement. 

What are you referring to? 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #81: February 03, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
What are you referring to? 

"It was just wrong. That's all it comes down to," Hamilton said. "I needed to be at a different place. I needed to be responsible. I was not responsible. Those actions of mine have hurt a lot of people I'm very close to."

"I did not drink in front of him," Hamilton said. "We finished up at this restaurant that was closing and decided to go across the street to another place that stayed open. We talked baseball, family, life, all these things."

About 30 minutes later, Kinsler was ready to go home. Hamilton said his teammate dropped him off at the other restaurant.

"His words were, 'I'll see you later. Don't go back out or anything, all right?' " Hamilton said. "I did exactly what I told him I wouldn't do. I went back to the place we had just left and had some more drinks."

"I cannot take a break from my recovery," Hamilton said. "My recovery is Christ. My recovery is an every-day process. When I take that one day off, it leaves me open for a moment of weakness and it's always been that way.

"For everybody that I've hurt, for fans, kids, people that have addictions that look up to me, I apologize to you. When you're doing this, you don't mean to hurt anybody, but you're only thinking it hurts yourself, but I know it hurt a lot of people."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7537732/texas-rangers-outfielder-josh-hamilton-relapse-alcohol

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #82: February 03, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
The God stuff is what got Hamilton out of it to begin with. He won't stop it now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #83: February 03, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »
If he's going to have a bender, why does he go out in public? I'm not a recovering alcoholic, but if I was going to relapse I'd do it in my house or something.

I'm not trying to belittle him or his battles, I'm honestly wondering why the fudge he does this in public and turns himself into front page news.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #84: February 03, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
If he's going to have a bender, why does he go out in public? I'm not a recovering alcoholic, but if I was going to relapse I'd do it in my house or something.

I'm not trying to belittle him or his battles, I'm honestly wondering why the fudge he does this in public and turns himself into front page news.

It's a disease. When you need a fix, you're going to go find it wherever you can. He's certainly not going to have any alcohol in his house... nor will his wife let him have any there, either.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #85: February 03, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

When you don't care you don't care and you'll find opportunities to get what you need with the least resistance. 

The God stuff is what got Hamilton out of it to begin with. He won't stop it now.

Replacing one addiction with another.  He'll wise up sooner or later.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #86: February 03, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Well, Karl, I realize religion is the opium of the people, but I am not sure his faith is because of his recovery. he always has had faith.  He did use that to help him dig himself out of his hole / hell, but to say that he adopted it to replace his heroin and he should ween himself off what has always been part of his world view is a little jaded.  Don't feel a need to be the evangelist of cynicism when you deride him.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #87: February 03, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
Well, Karl, I realize religion is the opium of the people, but I am not sure his faith is because of his recovery. he always has had faith.  He did use that to help him dig himself out of his hole / hell, but to say that he adopted it to replace his heroin and he should ween himself off what has always been part of his world view is a little jaded.  Don't feel a need to be the evangelist of cynicism when you deride him.

:crackup:

Who was deriding him?  All I said was at some point he'll get it that it's up to him to stay clean and sober.  Maybe it's just my twisted world view or that I've seen numerous people do and say the exact same things as him that makes me cynical. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: February 03, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
i'm just saying he didn't have to come out and address it, but he did and it looked like he was genuinely sorry.

hope he can stay that way. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #89: February 03, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »

I wasn't aware he always had a strong faith. I thought he picked up a bible and started reading when he was bottoming out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #90: February 03, 2012, 03:45:59 PM »
i'm just saying he didn't have to come out and address it, but he did and it looked like he was genuinely sorry.

And for that he should be applauded.  If a guy that has all that he has going for him can't not stop trying throw his life away it shows just how much of a struggle overcoming an addiction is.  Don't let my disgust of 12 step programs have you believe otherwise.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #91: February 03, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
I wasn't aware he always had a strong faith. I thought he picked up a bible and started reading when he was bottoming out.

Me neither, I thought the same thing after flipping through his book.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #92: February 03, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »

hope he can stay that way. 
Jeff Passon is saying it will cost him any shot of a mega deal, so maybe it's his attempt at damage control

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: February 03, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Maybe bottoming out caused his conversion experience, but I thought he was brought up in a religious household in a religious area of the country, and basically was a straight-lace kid until his first injury and his first tattoo.

Harper got tattoos. :panic:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #94: February 03, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
Maybe bottoming out caused his conversion experience

In my experience it does.  I ASSuME you've never tried a 12 step program before.  One of the first things they drill into you is that you must "come to believe that a Power greater than [your]sel[f] [can] restore [you] to sanity."  If you've been through any form of recovery that's something that you see happen quite often.  People flipping out and believing the big man in the sky is going to stop them from doing something only they can control. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #95: February 05, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Brad penny to Japan

Offline PC

« Reply #96: February 09, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Dirt from the Hamilton relapse at deadspin:

What Happened On The Night Josh Hamilton Had A Relapse, (Alleged) Bathroom Sex? One Eyewitness Account

We got an email this afternoon from a man who says he was at the same Dallas bar as Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton on the night Hamilton had a relapse and (allegedly) bathroom sex. Here's our source's version of events:
I am one of those you mentioned in your story.....here you go:

The activity started around 10:30pm during rock-star karaoke. Sequence of events:

1) Mr. Hamilton is standing in the stairwell that connects the front section to back section of Sherlock's.

2) Mr. Hamilton has a drink in hand and begins jamming in the stairwell to the karaoke music.

3) Mr. Hamilton is then approached by a very average looking woman.

4) They start slapping each others butts and making our near the stairwell area. At this point the Sherlock's manager is trying to block people from using
their camera phones.

5) Mr. Hamilton and the woman make their way into the rear restroom area across from the pool table area near the patio.

6) Loud sexually oriented noise is emanating from within the men's restroom. Sherlock's manager is blocking the entrance to the restroom.

7) After about 5 minutes the woman exits the men's restroom. She seems to have a big smile on her face and her jaw is kind of dropped open. She returns to her table in the dining area.

8 ) Mr. Hamilton then exits the men's restroom and the Sherlock's manager apparently encourages him to leave.

9) Mr. Hamilton exits Sherlock's using the rear exit through the patio area, jumps over the small fence and gets in a pretty beat up 4 door Ford sedan and drives off.

The account of the witness is similar to a blog post that featured accounts from eight patrons who were at Sherlock's on the night in question, Jan. 30. The only major difference was the description of the vehicle, which the blog post describes as "an SUV." An employee at a Dallas television station who interviewed several eyewitnesses—including one who tried to sell the station a seven-second video of what he claimed to be Hamilton having sex in the bathroom—tells us that the above email is consistent with what he had heard from patrons.

Love the "very average looking woman" description. :lol:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #97: February 09, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
What I learned from that is Josh Hamilton is good at sex.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #98: February 10, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »
Not surprising at all.  Remember his last relapse where very average looking chicks were doing body shots off of his stomach?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: February 10, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »
I'm sure his wife and daughters are proud