Author Topic: Another good outing from Hill  (Read 532 times)

Offline KyleScha

Another good outing from Hill
« Topic Start: March 07, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »
Well, its certainly good news to see at least a few pitchers be successful. I just really hope that he and Patterson can stay healthy. I know we all do, so I'm not saying anything new. My feeling is that we will have one other pitcher (Chico, maybe?) that will step up and have a productive year. With this, we would have 3 decent to good pitchers starting for us.

Even though the Nats have only won one game this spring so far, I'm not too worried. If you look at a lot of the losses, they were the result of one player doing poorly (if Saul's inning was scoreless today, Nats would have won). A lot of times these are players that will not make the roster.

Offense seems to be doing alright as well. I think even though we lack anyone who may reach 30HRs this season, we have a bunch that are capable of 20 (Zimm, Kearns, Church, Broadway/Johnson). Also, the average OBP between these 4 (I'm counting 1B as one player) players will probably be around .370 or even more. Plus, if Nook Logan can get on base (which I actually believe he will) we may have him and Felipe at the top of the lineup. Scheider is hitting up a storm too. I don't think there is any reason to worry this lineup will be near the bottom of the league in runs scored.

So, I think if Patterson and Hill (I'm not holding my breath, though) can stay healthy, and we have one more pitcher step up we'll prove everyone wrong and have a better season than last year. However, if Hill and Patterson get injured...well actually I don't want to think about it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Another good outing from Hill
« Reply #1: March 07, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »
Comments from Ladson regarding Hill's action today:

No fool on the Hill: Right-hander Shawn Hill continues to show how badly he wants to be in the starting rotation. He pitched three solid innings and gave up a run on three hits against the Astros on Wednesday. It was Hill's second straight solid outing. He didn't allow an earned run against the Dodgers on Friday.

In Wednesday's game, after giving up an RBI single to Lance Berkman in the first inning, Hill retired seven of the next eight batters he faced.

"[In the first inning], he threw nothing but fastballs," Acta said. "He mixed up his pitches [after that] and he was impressive. We all know Shawn needs to be healthy. The rest will take care of itself."

Although he has had two solid outings, Hill said his confidence is not sky-high yet. He has at least four more starts to show that he belongs in the rotation.

"A lot of things can happen -- one way or the other," Hill said. "I can throw better or much worse. I feel good about the way I'm throwing right now. I'm trying to stay healthy and hopefully keep rolling."

Hill missed the second half of 2006 because of elbow problems.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: March 07, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »
I'm scratching my brain to remember what game it was early last summer that Hill started in at home and did pretty well.  Dodgers?   

Comments from Ladson regarding Hill's action today:

No fool on the Hill: Right-hander Shawn Hill continues to show how badly he wants to be in the starting rotation. He pitched three solid innings and gave up a run on three hits against the Astros on Wednesday. It was Hill's second straight solid outing. He didn't allow an earned run against the Dodgers on Friday.

In Wednesday's game, after giving up an RBI single to Lance Berkman in the first inning, Hill retired seven of the next eight batters he faced.

"[In the first inning], he threw nothing but fastballs," Acta said. "He mixed up his pitches [after that] and he was impressive. We all know Shawn needs to be healthy. The rest will take care of itself."

Although he has had two solid outings, Hill said his confidence is not sky-high yet. He has at least four more starts to show that he belongs in the rotation.

"A lot of things can happen -- one way or the other," Hill said. "I can throw better or much worse. I feel good about the way I'm throwing right now. I'm trying to stay healthy and hopefully keep rolling."

Hill missed the second half of 2006 because of elbow problems.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: March 07, 2007, 11:57:54 PM »
I'm scratching my brain to remember what game it was early last summer that Hill started in at home and did pretty well.  Dodgers?  

His first game last year was against the Dodgers; he went 7 IP and game up 5 hits, 1 ER, with 3 Ks

He had quality starts his first 4 or 6 outings.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #4: March 08, 2007, 12:17:50 AM »
He also pitched a 7 inning 2 hit shutout. The first 4 games last year he had an ERA of 2.45 or something like that.