Author Topic: ST: Nats vs. Orioles; March 3rd  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
If Nats keep 7 relievers like they talked about, having 3 lefties isn't so far fetched.  But it would be hard to keep Traber and cut Rivera if it came down to that decision.

When it comes down to the final decision on who makes the last roster spots, I'm guessing one of the factors that will be looked at, will probably be who performed best as the camp progressed, not who did what early. IMO, any pitcher who doesn't perform well in the 1st third of spring training shouldn't be considered for a roster spot, unless they turn things around and show more consistency, because that's when they're facing the most minor league and bench players.

Early in spring training, I prefer to look at what hitters are hitting and against who, and which pitchers are facing experienced hitters more often. There are other things, but detailed game rundowns, it's hard for fans to make the same kind of judgments the coaches can. We don't come close to seeing what they see.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Yesterday was more of a bang thud than today's game was. I'm sorry if Ballimore Orios is how people pronounce it down there, but I learned English growing up, so you'll have to forgive me.

Imagine that, you pronounce hon the same way us English speaking Canucks do... LOL

BTW, since you're calling me hon, I guess I should start calling you sweetie...  ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yesterday was more of a bang thud than today's game was. I'm sorry if Ballimore Orios is how people pronounce it down there, but I learned English growing up, so you'll have to forgive me.

Imagine that, you pronounce hon the same way us English speaking Canucks do... LOL

BTW, since you're calling me hon, I guess I should start calling you sweetie...  ;)

I didn't expect you to really appreciate that "hon" reference.  That's a balteemore term of endearance for many generations now, and often used between hetero members of the same sex.  Even though I grew up in Md, I was a DC area guy and never subscribed to the baldeeemer accents, of which there are many and varied.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I didn't expect you to really appreciate that "hon" reference.  That's a balteemore term of endearance for many generations now, and often used between hetero members of the same sex.  Even though I grew up in Md, I was a DC area guy and never subscribed to the baldeeemer accents, of which there are many and varied.

Tom, I've been living in Baltimore for about 6 months now and while I see a lot of (stupid) "hun" bumper stickers, I haven't ever heard anyone actually say it except one wrinkled waitress at a country diner, and I certainly wouldn't be expecting any hetero men to be calling me that...  maybe I'm just not getting out enough :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: ST: Nats vs. Orioles; March 3rd
« Reply #29: March 04, 2007, 06:24:03 AM »
Patterson gets comfortable in first outing
By Mark Zuckerman
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
LINK: http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20070304-120502-2597r.htm

VIERA, Fla. -- Because he had not pitched against another major league team in eight months, John Patterson admittedly needed some time yesterday to get comfortable on the mound.
    Once he did, the Washington Nationals right-hander felt more like his old self, and his performance against the Baltimore Orioles reflected that.
    After giving up three straight two-out singles (and one run) in the top of the first, Patterson rebounded to retire the side in order in his second and final inning of the Nationals' 7-2 exhibition loss at Space Coast Stadium.
    "Once you get the first one out of your way, you can start to get comfortable, start to really focus on pitching instead of all the stuff that goes into your first start," he said. "The nerves and being back on the mound after a long break ... get all that out of your way and now you can start pitching."
    Patterson, the only starter in Washington's camp guaranteed to win a spot in the team's rotation, was generally pleased with his 34-pitch spring debut. None of the three first-inning singles was hit particularly hard, and Patterson generally had command of the three pitches he used (fastball, curveball and changeup). He hasn't started throwing his slider in a game yet.
    "It's too much to ask him to have his second and third pitch with complete command already," manager Manny Acta said. "He wasn't very sharp with his breaking balls. But to see him go out there and throw the ball nice and free as he did, it was good."

Hanrahan struggles
    Joel Hanrahan, who relieved Patterson in the third inning, wasn't nearly as encouraged his performance. The right-hander, one of 12 starters competing for four open rotation spots, lasted just 1/3 of an inning, allowed five runs on three hits and three walks and now has an ERA of 135.00.
    Hanrahan, a former Los Angeles Dodgers farmhand, attributed poor mechanics to his rough outing and admitted he was trying to make an impression in one of the few chances he will get. The first round of roster cuts is Thursday.
    "Obviously, we're only going to get so many chances," he said. "Hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances. It's the first game out there. I expect next time to improve."
    Acta said he wouldn't rush to judge Hanrahan after one game.
    "It's just the first outing, and let's leave it at that," the manager said. "If this kid goes out there for two scoreless innings next time, what am I going to do, change my mind? I'm going to give everybody the benefit of the doubt and enough chances out there."

CharmCityCrab

« Reply #30: March 04, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
That Ray King guy could come in handy if what the announcers were saying about him liking 80+ relief appearances a year.  With a shaky rotation, he could be the Nats' designated "bridge" guy to the setup men if the start gets knocked out in the 4th or the 5th.  Very astute pickup on Bowden's part.  Here is a guy that to a team with an established starting rotation might not be worth much, but to the Nats is pure gold.

By the way, someone asked about whether there was an "Orioles" feed of the game.  The answer to that is no.  Everyone got the Nats feed.  Friday's game everyone will get the Orioles feed.  I'm guessing that's part of the reason they're able to show us so many spring training games, by sort of doubling up like that occasionally.  Beginning with the last game of spring training, and for the six regular season games, though, they'll be split feeds (One on MASN and the other on MASN2) with Nats and O's broadcasts both doing every O's/Nat's game.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #31: March 04, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
That Ray King guy could come in handy if what the announcers were saying about him liking 80+ relief appearances a year.  With a shaky rotation, he could be the Nats' designated "bridge" guy...

someone asked about whether there was an "Orioles" feed of the game.  The answer to that is no.  Everyone got the Nats feed.  Friday's game everyone will get the Orioles feed...

Some Nationals pitchers could get knocked out in 2 or 3 innings, and Acta shouldn't yield games (the way Frank did), if his relief staff is designed to handle it this way.

The broadcasters for both the Orioles and Nationals should treat these combined-city broadcasts as though they were airing games to both teams.  They should all avoid homer attitudes and report the games neutrally.  Both cities will respect them for it - and they should tell the audience it's a joint broadcast, so the fans understand the difference. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: March 04, 2007, 01:34:09 PM »
Tom, I've been living in Baltimore for about 6 months now and while I see a lot of (stupid) "hun" bumper stickers, I haven't ever heard anyone actually say it except one wrinkled waitress at a country diner, and I certainly wouldn't be expecting any hetero men to be calling me that...  maybe I'm just not getting out enough :lol:

Chief, you haven't been spending much time in Dundalk, have you?  But I think it is a fading term, for sure.

Some years ago (10? 15?) some guy kept adding comma, "hon" to the sign on the BW parkway that said "Welcome to Baltimore".  So it read "Welcome to Baltimore, Hon".  The state would clean it up, and within a few days it would be back on again.  This persisted for a long time.  Not sure if they ever caught him or how it ended up.  Guess somebody got tired of the game.

EDIT:  If you google the phrase, you actually find quite a bit.  Here's one link:  http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=364346