Poll

Who will start in left?

Ryan Church
Alex Escobar
Chris Snelling
Kory Casto
Other

Author Topic: Who's in left field?  (Read 2997 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Who's in left field?
« Topic Start: January 29, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
With Kearns occupying right field, and Manny Acta declaring Nook Logan the starting center fielder (anyone thinking Brandon Watson right about now), who do you think the left fielder will be.  Kory Casto's name has been mentioned, and Ryan Church is always a potential candidate.  And of course, there are many other possibilities.  Who do you think the LFer will be?

As for me, I think it will be Kory Casto.  A lot of people say that Church would hit 30 HR and 100 RBI if he was to play a full season.  I don't believe this, because as we all know, he can't hit a breaking ball, and now that's all pitcher's throw to him.  And, he's not a very durable player.  Another potential candidate could be Escobar.  Honestly, he was great with the Nats last year.  But don't we all know by now that he will never play a full major league season?  I just think we have to start Casto, and give him the chance to play.  Then again, I wouldn't be against putting Escobar in left and praying that he stays healthy.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Who's in left field?
« Reply #1: January 29, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »
Unless Kasto plays and plays brilliantly, I think we're going to have a "center field 2006" situation with players rotating in and out of left field on a regular basis.

As an aside, I still don't get why everyone is always so down on Nook Logan.  I must not have been watching the same games last year that everyone else saw.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #2: January 29, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »
Well, there aren't too many batters that make their living hitting a well-thrown curve ball in the dirt. And if that is all pitchers are willing to throw to a hitter, he will have an OBP over .500 soon enough with all the walks. For a guy who allegedly can't hit, Church puts up awfully good numbers (better than everyone last year but Nick at RFK.) And let's not forget that Soriano couldn't hit the breaking balls low and away either.

Church will certainly battle for LF along with several other candidates. If things go as hoped and expected, we should see Escobar and Church and possibly Snelling or Restovich on the team to fill out the bench and OF. But it will come down to both who can stay healthy and who can perform. It should be a great battle to watch in ST. Casto will have to make the case that he is just too good not to start ahead of anyone else, otherwise, he will likely (and should) get everyday at bats in AAA until later in the season.

I was watching a rerun of the 4/17/05 game on MASN last night. There was a bloop hit to CF that Wilky charged but had to pull up on that I actually believe Nook would have made a play on. If he can keep his OBP up, I understand the desire to have him CF. But my hope is that we end up seeing a platoon of him and Escobar there.

AuRevoirExpos

« Reply #3: January 29, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »
I've no idea about this one. Casto maybe the best long term answer so I'll vote for him, though I don't think he's played above Double-A? But I know he had an outstanding year with the bat at Harrisburg. Escobar maybe has the best arm of the 3 if you're looking at it purely defensively. Who knows about Church, I liked the way he came back in the 2nd half after being sent down but there's a lot of people he still needs to convince. There's just too many questions with the Nats right now, pitching mainly, but there's a lot of guys need to have a great spring to make people sit up and take notice.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: January 29, 2007, 10:16:40 PM »
I have to vote for the only left fielder who belongs to this forum - Ryan Church.  I also happen to believe that he would be the most productive of the group of them, if put out there everyday.  Now I love Escobar too, but would much rather see him in center field everyday.  Snelling comes highly regarded, but can he last? 

Unfortunately, I think the Nats want to trade Church to open things up a bit, and because Ryan is the only one of our left fielders who might bring some value, which also speaks volumes as to who other teams' experts think is the best guy we've got there.

« Reply #5: January 29, 2007, 10:22:44 PM »
And playing LF for your Washington Nationals....Ryyyyyyyan Church!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #6: January 29, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »
By the way you guys will be happy to know that you can now add a poll after a thread has already been started, and can also edit the poll options as well.  2k6nats has already noticed these things.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: January 29, 2007, 10:37:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the Nats want to trade Church to open things up a bit, and because Ryan is the only one of our left fielders who might bring some value, which also speaks volumes as to who other teams' experts think is the best guy we've got there.

Personally, I think dealing Ryan would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.  I know that they're looking at pitching and would be hoping to get some good pitching in exchange, but it's a hugely DUMB idea!  I guess they're figuring that they have 3 others who can take LF.  But JB and co. need to ask themselves if the productivity and reliability of these individuals is worth it.  Maybe deal two of them for a good pitcher?  I dunno, just a NEW thought!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #8: January 29, 2007, 11:28:20 PM »
This has been one of the most analyzed issues in the off season. 
Kory Casto has never hit against major league pitching and he couldn't hit left handers in AA. 
2006      AB     H    2B   3B  HR   BB   K       BA     OBP     SLG      OPS
vs LHP   132   25   2     0   3    19   31  0.189  0.311     0.273    0.583    
vs RHP   357  108  22    6  17   62   73   0.303   0.405   0.541   0.945
So I expect it will be Church or Escobar, while Casto heads to Columbus AAA.
Casto's a little young, and our sink is full.  Or he'll be platooned. (On the left.)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: January 30, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »
I'm hoping Church can be the stud some think he can

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #10: January 30, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »
While it's true that most big leaguers can't hit a well thrown curve in the dirt, Church's problem seems to be that he can't lay off the pitch, which often leaves him behind in the count and even more vulnerable. It would be nice to see him develop into what some people seem to think he can be but I just don't see it happening. I hope he proves me wrong. Either way I don't see him or any of these guys bringing back any solid pitching in return on a trade so I don't think that should be an issue.

As far as Logan goes, I'm with Chief on this one. I am willing to give him another look before declaring him trash. Overall it should be an interesting battle for the LF spot and I'm looking forward to it. Competition brings out the best in true competitors so things should fall into place for the Nats as far as that is concerned. Personally though, I think Casto should be given a little longer to develop. Who do we think he is, Ryan Zimmerman!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #11: January 30, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
While it's true that most big leaguers can't hit a well thrown curve in the dirt, Church's problem seems to be that he can't lay off the pitch, which often leaves him behind in the count and even more vulnerable.

I agree that he has struggled with that. He knows it, and has worked on it. BTW, Soriano is another guy who can't hit it and can't lay off. Note the Ks.

But ultimately, it is about production. It's one thing if a player has a hole in his swing and it prevents productivity, but despite the struggling, he still put up some of the best numbers on the team. I think everyone who is a fan of Church agrees that he has issues he needs to deal with. But it is possible to see those issues and still recognize the value in a player. All players have flaws, but at the end of the day, you have to judge them by the numbers. It just makes a lot of us scratch our heads when people talk about a guy like he can't hit, when the statistical facts indicate the opposite.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #12: January 30, 2007, 05:05:39 PM »
CHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, I tried to add Chris Snelling, but the blasted thing removed Kory Casto... I'm afraid if I try to fix it, it will only get worse. My apologies to 2k6nats

BTW, the fact that Snelling wasn't include, makes the poll useless IMO

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #13: January 30, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
CHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, I tried to add Chris Snelling, but the blasted thing removed Kory Casto... I'm afraid if I try to fix it, it will only get worse. My apologies to 2k6nats

Wouldn't be the first time a mod deleted something by accident.   ;)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #14: January 30, 2007, 06:28:37 PM »
How many outfielders did the Nationals carry at any given time last year?  I think Kearns is the only one who is likely to play every day.  If Logan's bat is weak, I can see him used more defensively.  I do get a kick out of hearing his deliberate bunts-for-hits, in non-sacrifice situations, being automatically called "sacrifice hits," when he isn't put out.  If Casto can hit .300 in spring training, I wonder how many of them don't make it.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #15: January 30, 2007, 11:07:52 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time a mod deleted something by accident.   ;)

DOHHHH... Ohhhh Donuts...

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #16: January 31, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »

No problem Ken.  It's fixed, and Snelling is still in the poll. 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #17: January 31, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
Yea but thanks to my screw up, Kory Casto no longer has the HUGE lead he had over the others

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #18: January 31, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »
Yea but thanks to my screw up, Kory Casto no longer has the HUGE lead he had over the others

Wait was that sarcastic?  I thought I was the only one who had voted Casto in the poll.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: January 31, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »
Wait was that sarcastic?  I thought I was the only one who had voted Casto in the poll.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure Casto was at 14 votes to Church's 8 when I did the screwup.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #20: January 31, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
Well then, I guess we know who the real winner is :)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #21: January 31, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
Well then, I guess we know who the real winner is :)

Yes, whoever wins the job in Left Field... ;)