Author Topic: Nationals vs Tigers, Game 1  (Read 14855 times)

Offline ernie0326

Re: Nationals vs. Tigers, Game 1
« Reply #275: June 18, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
Now the Tigers are far less likely to underestimate us in the next two games

and that means they'll RESPECT US. 

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #276: June 18, 2007, 10:24:26 PM »
I would rather they'd lost 9-1 than come close like that.  Now the Tigers are far less likely to underestimate us in the next two games and winning either of them will be even harder than it was already going to be.

As good of a manager as Leyland is I doubt they underestimate anyone.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #277: June 18, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Bunting in that situation is elementary.  2 on and no out.  After a successful bunt, then you only need a flyball or ground ball to score a run.  Without bunting, you have to get a base hit.  Whatever, It was a very nice comeback but when you have 2 on and no out and fail to plate a run down by 1 in the 9th it just sucks. 

You are correct on the fundamentals.  Ensure a tie to prevent the loss. But Dmitri Young was facing his former team, who had kicked him to the curb and eliminated his World Series opportunity.  I was sitting there waiting for a walk-off home run.  I had the "BANG! ZOOM!" ready to go.  It would have been a sure-fire ESPN highlight. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #278: June 18, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »
What an exhilarating night at RFK.  If only the Nationals had pulled through. *sigh*

« Reply #279: June 18, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »
It was a tough loss and I am sure they feel it but it was one heck of a game and they should be proud.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #280: June 18, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »
I for one was completely turned around by the way we played tonight. Were there defensive screwups-yes; offensive opportunities missed-yes. But we came within 1 run in the 9th inning of tieing/beating the second hottest team in the AL, and we did it in front of our own folks. Right on!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #281: June 18, 2007, 11:41:06 PM »
Just got in and recapped the game.

I'm sorry, that is the dumbest attitude I have ever heard.  You'd rather them just give up rather than try to win the game and when and if they don't win, you want to nag at them for doing so just because you can't keep your own emotions and disappointment in check?  Sick.

We just went toe to toe with a rising powerhouse and didn't give in.  The game didn't swing in our favor tonight.  Tomorrow is another game.

I think you completely misread me but whatever...