Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 40788 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #200: September 29, 2010, 12:37:44 AM »
sign both dunn and werth tomorrow night and I'll buy a plane ticket from SD to NY for the finale.
Considering they can't sign Werth till the offseason...

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #201: September 29, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »
Considering they can't sign Werth till the offseason...
i know i know i know but a boy can dream can't he

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #202: September 29, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
Nobody's going to mention 68 wins?

9 game improvement is a positive.  No one wants to hear that when venting about things that stopped being true 2 months ago.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #203: September 29, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »
You care about FIP until it doesn't suit your point. How about Marquis 4.94 FIP or 4.8 K/9. If John Lannan has a 4.70 FIP he is trash and a AA pitcher in your eyes, but Marquis can have an almost 5 FIP, and he is a star.  

How about Marquis 3.48 FIP in September (and that was before tonight)?  Whoops, that supports the continued improvement since he returned from injury.  How about my mentioning the turnaround of Lannan, and his two months spike well above his career norms, as a great thing and something that has earned him a spot in next year's rotation.  Don't let the facts punch you in the face on your way out.

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #204: September 29, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »
How about Marquis 3.48 FIP in September (and that was before tonight)?  Whoops, that supports the continued improvement since he returned from injury.  How about my mentioning the turnaround of Lannan, and his two months spike well above his career norms, as a great thing and something that has earned him a spot in next year's rotation.  Don't let the facts punch you in the face on your way out.
1 month sample sizes don't mean much. Not much can be made out of a 18 IP sample size. For example, Luis Atilano had a 3.69 FIP in June in 28.2 IP. Or how about Craig Stammen's 3.62 FIP in June in 19 innings. J.D. Martin had a 3.60 FIP in May. Or Livan Hernandez who had a Strasburg-esque 2.21 FIP in July in 38 IP. I'll rely on the bigger sample size which since his return he has a 4.94 FIP. His career FIP is 4.86. He has a WHIP of 1.45 in his last 5 seasons. He is a mediocre pitcher. Funny how Lannan has always been a lucky pitcher in your eyes, but Marquis has always been the proven MLB starter despite the fact that his career FIP is lower than your whipping boy John Lannan. I'm still waiting to hear how a 4 BB 1 K or 3 BB, 1 K, 2 HR performance is good.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #205: September 29, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »
1 month sample sizes don't mean much. Not much can be made out of a 18 IP sample size. For example, Luis Atilano had a 3.69 FIP in June in 28.2 IP. Or how about Craig Stammen's 3.62 FIP in June in 19 innings. J.D. Martin had a 3.60 FIP in May. Or Livan Hernandez who had a Strasburg-esque 2.21 FIP in July in 38 IP. I'll rely on the bigger sample size which since his return he has a 4.94 FIP. His career FIP is 4.86. He has a WHIP of 1.45 in his last 5 seasons. He is a mediocre pitcher. Funny how Lannan has always been a lucky pitcher in your eyes, but Marquis has always been the proven MLB starter despite the fact that his career FIP is lower than your whipping boy John Lannan. I'm still waiting to hear how a 4 BB 1 K or 3 BB, 1 K, 2 HR performance is good.

Marquis is continuing his pre-surgery numbers, though. Martin, Atilano, etc could have been scouted out of usefulness.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #206: September 29, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
How about Marquis 3.48 FIP in September (and that was before tonight)?  Whoops, that supports the continued improvement since he returned from injury.  How about my mentioning the turnaround of Lannan, and his two months spike well above his career norms, as a great thing and something that has earned him a spot in next year's rotation.  Don't let the facts punch you in the face on your way out.
Here are some monthly FIPs for your perusal:

Livan Hernandez - 2.21 FIP (July)
Scott Olsen - 3.23 FIP (May)
Jason Marquis - 3.48 FIP (September)
Craig Stammen - 3.62 FIP (June)
Luis Atilano - 3.69 FIP (June)

Isn't it interesting how none of these pitchers came even close to duplicating that performance in other months?  Pitchers have great fluky months.  It happens.  It doesn't mean that you should throw an entire career's worth of statistics out the window if there isn't an extremely obvious change to support it (e.g. learning a new pitch, dramatically increased velocity).