Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 61964 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #350: November 27, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #351: November 27, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
a sneaky kahjiit that goes around pilfering people's homes and assassinating them while they sleep,

And you can even name him DJ Kitty.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #352: November 27, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
I'm level 18 now. Haven't done a ton in the main quest, have done a good chunk of the companions quest, mostly I wander around and do random quests, like one quest where I found a "beacon" that I had to bring back to this shrine and it ended up with me getting a ton of gold, an awesome new sword and some other random crap I could sell. Good stuff. Trying to focus on the main quest but I get distracted :lmao:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #353: November 27, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
I'm level 18 now. Haven't done a ton in the main quest, have done a good chunk of the companions quest, mostly I wander around and do random quests, like one quest where I found a "beacon" that I had to bring back to this shrine and it ended up with me getting a ton of gold, an awesome new sword and some other random crap I could sell. Good stuff. Trying to focus on the main quest but I get distracted :lmao:

Dawnbreaker. One badass sword. I use it frequently.  :)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #354: November 27, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
I need no pathetic swords when I'm raining down hellfire :twisted:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #355: November 27, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
I've been a bad Elf. I had to serve time in Whiterun. My fine was 1000 gold. I was like "screw that, I'll do the time".  :lol:

I actually had a bounty hunter come after me outside of Whiterun. Anyone else had that happen?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #356: November 27, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
Anyone a Wood Elf? I chose Nord for this playthrough but I'm trying to figure out what type I'll be next. Not a huge magic user other than destruction and restoration. I like using a bow and sneaking and then just destroying someone with a sword once I get close. Any specific recommendations?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #357: November 27, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
I've been a bad Elf. I had to serve time in Whiterun. My fine was 1000 gold. I was like "screw that, I'll do the time".  :lol:

I actually had a bounty hunter come after me outside of Whiterun. Anyone else had that happen?

You mean the hired thugs?  I've had them come after me.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #358: November 27, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
You mean the hired thugs?  I've had them come after me.

(Image removed from quote.)

No, It was a bounty hunter. I racked up a big fine due to some werewolf issues. He was by himself, but he was a pretty good fighter.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #359: November 27, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Anyone a Wood Elf? I chose Nord for this playthrough but I'm trying to figure out what type I'll be next. Not a huge magic user other than destruction and restoration. I like using a bow and sneaking and then just destroying someone with a sword once I get close. Any specific recommendations?

Wood Elves get the archery bonus I believe, Khajiit get a sneak bonus.  I'll go ahead and paste these here as much for my own use as anyone elses :lol:

Argonian
+10 Lockpicking, +5 Restoration, Alteration, Light Armor, Sneak, Pickpocket

Histskin : Invoke the power of the Hist to recover health ten times faster for 60 seconds.
Resist Disease : Your Argonian blood is 50% resistant to disease.
Water Breathing : Your Argonian Lungs can breath underwater.

Breton
+10 Conjuration, +5 Alchemy, Illusion, Restoration, Alteration, Speech

Dragonskin : Absorb 50% of magicka from hostile spells for 60 seconds.
Magic Resistance : Breton blood grants a 25% resistance to magic.

Dunmer (Dark Elf)
+10 Destruction, +5 Alchemy, Illusion, Alteration, Light Armor, Sneak

Ancestor’s Wrath : For 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage.
Resist Fire – Your Dunmer blood gives you 50% resistance to fire.

Altmer (High Elf)
+10 Illusion, +5 Conjuration, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, Enchanting

Highborn : Regenerate magicka faster for 60 seconds.
Highborn : High Elves are born with 50 extra magicka.

Imperial
+10 Restoration, +5 Destruction, Enchanting, Heavy Armor, Block, One-Handed

Voice of the Emperor : Calms nearby people for 60 seconds.
Imperial Luck : Anywhere gold coins might be found, Imperials always seem to find a few more.

Khajiit
+10 Sneak, +5 Alchemy, One-Handed, Archery, Lockpicking, Pickpocket

Night Eye : Improved night vision for 60 seconds.
Claws : Khajiit claws do 15 points of damage.

Nord
+10 Two-Handed, +5 Smithing, Block, One-Handed, Light Armor, Speech

Battle Cry : Target flees for 30 seconds.
Resist Frost: Your Nord blood gives you 50% resistance to frost.

Orsimer (Orc)
+10 Heavy Armor, +5 Enchanting, Smithing, Block, Two-Handed, One-Handed

Berserker Rage : You take half damage and do double damage for 60 seconds.

Redguard
+10 One-Handed, +5 Destruction, Alteration, Smithing, Block, Archery

Adrenaline Rush : Stamina regenerates 10x faster for 60 seconds.
Resist Poison : Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison.

Bosmer (Wood Elf)
+10 Archery, +5 Alchemy, Light Armor, Sneak, Lockpicking, Pickpocket

Command Animal : Make an animal an ally for 60 seconds.
Resist Disease and Poison : Your Bosmer blood gives you 50% resistance to poison and disease.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #360: November 27, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »

That's his head^^^

Offline eckseid

« Reply #361: November 27, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
So ya, I'm having a huge problem with this game: I can't stop playing. Ok, so not really a problem I guess lol. Level 11 now and I'm going to buy a house after the skins game is over. I've barely done any of the main quest.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #362: November 27, 2011, 05:18:51 PM »
Eh, didn't know Nords had a bonus to light armor. I just switched to Dwarven armor. Does the bonus make enough difference to switch to a weaker armor?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #363: November 27, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
Eh, didn't know Nords had a bonus to light armor. I just switched to Dwarven armor. Does the bonus make enough difference to switch to a weaker armor?

The bonus just gives you a jumpstart in those categories.  IE a Nord will start at level 20 in light armor instead of 15 (+5).  It still maxes at 100.  So no, there's not much difference.  Also, there is an armor cap, I forget what the exact number is, but at a certain armor level, more armor doesn't offer more protection, so I think you can get light armor that has as much protection as heavy armor if you use potions and enchanting.

Edit:
Damage reduction is capped at 80%. If you are wearing all four pieces of armor, this occurs at 567 displayed armor rating.
From UESP.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #364: November 27, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »
I wonder if there's a similar cap for other things.  I've got a total of 70% reduction on destruction casting cost right now via various piece of enchanted gear.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #365: November 27, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
I wonder if there's a similar cap for other things.  I've got a total of 70% reduction on destruction casting cost right now via various piece of enchanted gear.

I know you can get to 100% reduction on gear so you can infinitely cast.

How did you get the reduction?  I'm wearing Arch Mage robes now that I am the Arch Mage of the mages college in Winterhold - F YEAH I wonder if I could further improve them?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #366: November 27, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
I know you can get to 100% reduction on gear so you can infinitely cast.

How did you get the reduction?  I'm wearing Arch Mage robes now that I am the Arch Mage of the mages college in Winterhold - F YEAH I wonder if I could further improve them?

Master Robes of Destruction are better than the Arch-Mage robes, IMO (22% casting cost reduction, +150% regen).  Faralda starts selling them when your Destruction skill gets high enough.  Or perhaps it's level related, I'm not sure.  You'll also find certain vendors (I've had luck with Warmaiden's in Whiterun) selling circlets of various magic types.  I think 22% is the highest, but there are lesser levels that they'll sell earlier.  The rest of my gear is self-made via enchanting.  13% each ring and necklace.  I plan on adding gloves as well as soon as I can find another pair of unenchanted gloves - for the life of me I can't find them anywhere.  I know I picked up my current set off of an enemy in a dungeon, but I don't recall which one.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #367: November 27, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
I'm not really getting the enchanting thing.  My gloves are a crap pair of fur bracers I got at the very beginning that I enchanted with something that was +30 magicka when I disenchanted the item, but I only got like +6 magicka when I enchanted the gloves.

For my head I'm wearing Morokei.  I'm at 93 destruction so I might have to go check what Faralda has for sale.  I know she won't train me anymore.  Maybe now she'll sell me stuff given my position.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #368: November 27, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
None of the trainers go above 90, you have to earn the last 10 points in any given skill on your own, then you go back to the master trainer of that skill and they give you a quest to earn the right to buy master spells.  Not sure how it works with non-magical skills but I'd assume something similar.

For enchanting to be worth it you really have to level it some and invest in a few perks.  If you can find or buy gear that does what you want anyway, it's definitely much easier.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #369: November 27, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
Does anyone else feel like this when casting lightning based spells?

POWER!!!  UNLIMITED POWER!!!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #370: November 28, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »
Just had to deal with my first major glitch.  I got the amulet of Mara and decided to try the marriage option.  Except at the marriage ceremony, it says that I failed to attend my own marriage despite the fact I was in the Temple of Mara.  Then out of nowhere when I leave, the dead body of Lydia, who died earlier in the game, is just laying by the door to the temple.  It was pretty eerie.  Fortunately I figured out how to get by it, I just dragged her dead, limp body into some side room and then retried the quest.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #371: November 28, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
Just had to deal with my first major glitch.  I got the amulet of Mara and decided to try the marriage option.  Except at the marriage ceremony, it says that I failed to attend my own marriage despite the fact I was in the Temple of Mara.  Then out of nowhere when I leave, the dead body of Lydia, who died earlier in the game, is just laying by the door to the temple.  It was pretty eerie.  Fortunately I figured out how to get by it, I just dragged her dead, limp body into some side room and then retried the quest.

Not the first time I've heard something similar.  Hopefully the upcoming patch addresses this and other quest bugs.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #372: November 28, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
Her corpse showed up in my closet at my house. Wish she had showed up with all that steel armor she had been wearing so I could at least sell it.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #373: November 28, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
Hmmmm....I left her corpse lying in a cave somewhere. Haven't seen it since.  :)

The only glitch that I have seen is a rabbit swimming in water like a fish. That little bastard was flying around the water, then he just disappeared.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #374: November 28, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »
Not sure if this is an exhaustive list or not but here are patch notes for the upcoming 1.2 patch:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1294878-12-update/