Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 26011 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #425: September 02, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
Hard to quibble with a replacement player being replaced.

Huh? I don't follow.  I mean suppose hypothetically that Moore had started in leftfield (let's say Harper and Werth in center and right), Morse getting a rest.  By the ninth inning with a one-run lead, surely they would replace Moore with a defensive replacement, and most likely, Bernadina.  So with a one-run lead, instead you replace Bernadina with Moore? What sense does that make?

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #426: September 02, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »
Huh? I don't follow.  I mean suppose hypothetically that Moore had started in leftfield (let's say Harper and Werth in center and right), Morse getting a rest.  By the ninth inning with a one-run lead, surely they would replace Moore with a defensive replacement, and most likely, Bernadina.  So with a one-run lead, instead you replace Bernadina with Moore? What sense does that make?

I would have let Bernadina hit and kept him in LF for his defense. Sometimes Davey plays a hunch, and the hunch would have been that Moore has HR power. An odd move, but it didn't hurt.

Offline Clever

« Reply #427: September 02, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
Also take into consideration running Perez for Morse with 2 outs in the 7th. If he doesn't steal third and score there, you have a guy making his first MLB at-bat in the bottom of 9th in a tie game.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #428: September 02, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
When he made the move to Moore, I knew the shark hat fans would be circling.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #429: September 02, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
When he made the move to Moore, I knew the shark hat fans would be circling.

Maybe so, except in my case I am not particularly a Bernadina "fan".  I just thought it was not a smart move.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #430: September 02, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
Ok, shark hat fans and Ray. :lol:

j/k it was an observation not a accusation.

Offline Clever

« Reply #431: September 04, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
Taking out Christian Garcia after throwing three pitches.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #432: September 04, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »
Probably just wanted him to get his feet wet first time out.

Offline Clever

« Reply #433: September 04, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
Maybe I'll start seeing this rationally once were out of the 7th.  :)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #434: September 04, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
I don't understand not getting Perez, Brown, and Leon in the game after we scored 8.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #435: September 06, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »

Offline Sharp

« Reply #436: September 06, 2012, 01:22:20 AM »
I don't understand not getting Perez, Brown, and Leon in the game after we scored 8.
Yeah... I kind of feel like these games against bad teams are the only opportunity we'll really have to see the new guys.  We should probably make the most of it.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #437: September 06, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
We're in a pennant race and killing teams right now, don't let up, make the extra guys or guys on the playoff roster earn some AB's it's about now not the future

Online Slateman

« Reply #438: September 06, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
We're in a pennant race and killing teams right now, don't let up, make the extra guys or guys on the playoff roster earn some AB's it's about now not the future
How do you earn ABs if you can't get in the game? I'm much more concerned about someone getting hurt.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #439: September 06, 2012, 07:49:34 AM »
I doubt we'll see Perez again unless absolutely necessary. I think Davey is ticked at him for running with a red light.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #440: September 06, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
How do you earn ABs if you can't get in the game? I'm much more concerned about someone getting hurt.

Right attitude, sit down and shut up and don't speak out of turn.  You earn AB's in the bigs by being one of the best player at your position at the managers discretion. In a pennant race does davey make drastic changes which could jeopardize the teams winning?

I'm old school in this regard, I am a fan of winning at all costs and if Perez or Leon or someone like that miss out as a result...that's cool.

Look at Lombo, basically Mia after a hot streak because he's the third middle IF

Online Slateman

« Reply #441: September 06, 2012, 09:32:20 AM »
I doubt we'll see Perez again unless absolutely necessary. I think Davey is ticked at him for running with a red light.
Look, I gotta think that there is a standing order that if the pitcher simply doesn't pay attention to you, you take a base. Espinosa got caught trying to steal second in a close game, and he didn't get on Davey's crap list. Yet Perez steals it after the pitcher doesn't even look at him  and he is blacklisted?

Davey is willing to put up with Bryce Harper's antics because he's young, but not Perez because .... ?

Right attitude, sit down and shut up and don't speak out of turn.  You earn AB's in the bigs by being one of the best player at your position at the managers discretion. In a pennant race does davey make drastic changes which could jeopardize the teams winning?

I'm old school in this regard, I am a fan of winning at all costs and if Perez or Leon or someone like that miss out as a result...that's cool.

Look at Lombo, basically Mia after a hot streak because he's the third middle IF

I'm a fan of winning too. But when you're up by 8 runs, I think it's time to worry about getting out of the game with your core players in one piece.

What if Zimmerman had been chasing a ball last night and re-injured his shoulder? What if Morse had pulled a hammy running down a ball? What if LaRoche had taken that inside pitch on the head and gotten a concussion? It's one thing when it's a close ball game, but when it's a blow out and it's obvious that the other team is throwing Double A fodder out there, precautions need to be taken.

Also, the guys on the bench gotta be hungry. They can see the current roster. They know they're not going to be playing in the big leagues next year or the year after unless there's an injury. But if they play well now, they increase their chances of being traded to a team that will let them start (Derek Norris, Tom Milone).

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #442: September 06, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Hire Riggleman.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #443: September 06, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Second, he is getting shut down. This is understood. The doctors want him shut down. Rizzo wants him shut down. Boras wants him shut down. He needs to be shut down. There is too much evidence to igore on the issue of young power pitchers throwing too many innings early in their career. The TJS only makes more of a case.
Where is this evidence at? And if its there, where is the evidence that throwing a total of under 300 IP in your young career is damaging?

Online Slateman

« Reply #444: September 06, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »
Where is this evidence at? And if its there, where is the evidence that throwing a total of under 300 IP in your young career is damaging?

Go look up the injury history of young, power arms in the last 20 years. You might want start with names like Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, & Steve Avery. All young, power arms that got over pitched and ended up having shortened careers.

And the days of 300 inning pitchers are over. Guarentee you those guys would get crushed in today's game. They had weaker breaking stuff, looser rules, and not nearly as much velocity.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #445: September 06, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »
Not in this thread also, please.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #446: September 06, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Go look up the injury history of young, power arms in the last 20 years. You might want start with names like Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, & Steve Avery. All young, power arms that got over pitched and ended up having shortened careers.

And the days of 300 inning pitchers are over. Guarentee you those guys would get crushed in today's game. They had weaker breaking stuff, looser rules, and not nearly as much velocity.
Avery pitched like 700 IP at this point of his career. Strasburg is less than 300 IP. That is what I meant by 300 IP. Strasburg doesn't even have 300 IP so far in his career.

You can find plenty of soft tossing pitchers with short careers too or pitchers who barely pitched early who sucked later on. It's pitching, they all get hurt.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #447: September 06, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Actually, the odds of injury is increased with velocity.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #448: September 06, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »
Davey likes to keep everyone involved, everyone sharp and ready. He likes using his depth and giving the regulars a day off.

He seems to be managing this team the way he managed the '86 Mets. Back then, he used Ray Knight and Howard Johnson at 3B. Wally Backman and Tim Teuffel at 2B. Len Dykstra and Mookie Wilson in CF. Kevin Mitchell in LF, but also a few other places. Those are just guys I can remember...haven't check Baseball Ref.

I think we'll see plenty of Bernadina, Lombo, and Moore. Even Tracy. Perez and Brown might sit, but there is no evidence that they are on a Do Not Play list. The call-ups happen, unfortunately for them, to follow Bernadina (hitting over .300), Lombo (the Nats had a good August when Lombo stepped in for Desmond), and Moore (keeps hitting home runs).

What did Davey say the other night? Something like: "I've been to this rodeo before". And he has.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #449: September 06, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
Hard to find fault with a manager who has a team that's winning with authority and pelts its opponents with multiple home runs!