Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 26052 times)

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #350: July 25, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
I'll just leave this here...

"Stephen Strasburg gave a sneaky grin and a confident “yeah” when asked whether he was being more aggressive on the mound. He knew what the question was in reference to, and he appeared to have been waiting five days to answer it.

After the righty’s previous start, manager Davey Johnsons said, “He really doesn’t know who he is at times.” Strasburg knew who he was Wednesday all right:

Dominant."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/gametracker_nationals_at_mets_kRf6g0Z9LNEOtiHZ73Bv4N#ixzz21gXIP1w9

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #351: July 25, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #352: July 26, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/gametracker_nationals_at_mets_kRf6g0Z9LNEOtiHZ73Bv4N#ixzz21gXIP1w9

My favorite from the article,

“Since they kicked me out of town, I like coming in for the sweep,” Johnson said of being fired by the Mets in 1990.

Now that's management style.   :P

Offline GSW

« Reply #353: August 08, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
Should we start a new Thread: " :wtf: is Johnson doing"

1) double switch when the your going to pull the Pitcher after 1 inning anyway

2)Lets pull Lombo in the 12th so the new kid can play

3)Plays like my sons House Team... (everyone gets a chance to play)

:asplode: :shrug:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #354: August 08, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »

What's he doing?

Winning.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #355: August 08, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
I think Davey's management of the bullpen would be mentioned in that "WTF is Davey doing" thread after almost every game.

Offline Clever

« Reply #356: August 08, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »

He moved Lombo to LF in the 12th. I fail to comprehend your reasoning.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #357: August 08, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »
I think Davey's management of the bullpen would be mentioned in that "WTF is Davey doing" thread after almost every game.

LOL, that has routinely been brought up as to why Davey is better than Riggleman. I find it funny it's being questioned now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #358: August 08, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
Winning.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #359: August 08, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
best record in all of baseball ... oh wait, he's a terrible manager

idiots :roll:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #360: August 08, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
best record in all of baseball ... oh wait, he's a terrible manager

idiots :roll:
You and I are united in the "Davey Johnson is Badazz" party.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #361: August 08, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
You and I are united in the "Davey Johnson is Badazz" party.

Hear, hear.

Buck up mammy rammers, it doesn't get better than Davey.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #362: August 08, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Good teams can win regardless of their manager, Texas and Cincinnati being two great examples of this.

Fwiw I am a davey fan though

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #363: August 08, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Good teams can win regardless of their manager, Texas and Cincinnati being two great examples of this.

Fwiw I am a davey fan though

Texas couldn't win the World Series over Ron Washington's sabotage, though.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #364: August 08, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
Texas couldn't win the World Series over Ron Washington's sabotage, though.

Nats haven't made the playoffs yet either. But Dusty Baker is regarded as pretty much a terrible manager, yet the Reds are still winning

Offline blue911

« Reply #365: August 08, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Nats haven't made the playoffs yet either. But Dusty Baker is regarded as pretty much a terrible manager, yet the Reds are still winning

Baker is like Francona and Charlie Manuel. Their strength lies in being able to communicate with their players not the X's and O's of the game. Hell Bobby Valentine is smarter than all three and is still a bad manager because he lacks that one talent.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #366: August 09, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Baker is like Francona and Charlie Manuel. Their strength lies in being able to communicate with their players not the X's and O's of the game. Hell Bobby Valentine is smarter than all three and is still a bad manager because he lacks that one talent.

I'm not sure there is much to X's and O's in baseball managing. Billy Martin always managed to get the lefty/righty matchups, and announcers always praised him ffor thinking so far in advance. Batters still struck out or hit into DPs. Dialogue between Ted Williams and a  nats pitcher in 1969 season:

Ted: You stupid dope, you let that guy get a hit. I would have hit .400 off you

Pitcher: Then I want your job, because any job where you can fail six times out of ten and be a star must be nice, Ted.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #367: August 09, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

On a scale of Francona to Valentine  - where Francona has good "people skills" but low on baseball skills and Valentine has baseball smarts but is a social misfit - there is a huge middle ground - for both dimensions.  Davey would be in the middle for both and he's a far better manager than either of Francona or Valentine.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #368: August 09, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
On a scale of Francona to Valentine  - where Francona has good "people skills" but low on baseball skills and Valentine has baseball smarts but is a social misfit - there is a huge middle ground - for both dimensions.  Davey would be in the middle for both and he's a far better manager than either of Francona or Valentine.

Not to derail this thread, but Francona was far, far from low on baseball skills.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #369: August 09, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
Not to derail this thread, but Francona was far, far from low on baseball skills.

I've listened to him quite a bit.  I cannot recall ever gaining any insight from anything he has said.   I listen to Valentine (I hold my nose and listen) and usually learn something.  I listen to Davey and usually learn something  (and I don't have to hold my nose).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #370: August 09, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
If Gio hadn't come through in the bottom 9th last night, the knives would be out for Davey. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #371: August 09, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
If Gio hadn't come through in the bottom 9th last night, the knives would be out for Davey. 

Only from the mouth-breather crowd here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #372: August 09, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

Gio was paying homage to Livan.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #373: August 09, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

Really?

Francona has two world series rings as a manager. Davey has one.  Francona is a good manager when his personal life is down the flusher

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #374: August 10, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
The wailing and gnashing of teeth in last night's game thread over pulling Jordan after 6 was a bit over the top...

Why was JZ pulled at 87 pitches??

Why not give the pen another night off or 7-8 inns

Its Davey. The guy's also 2 years removed from TJ. I don't know.

If it were me, I'd let him go another inning or two. But what can you do. :shrug:

If we lose this one I'm gonna be very angry.

You let Gio go 117 and JZ not even get to 90.  That makes a lot of sense

We needed to get another inning out of Jordan.  Johnson's management of the bullpen is atrocious.

It's unreal that he pulled JZimm. I rarely question Davey, but tonight is one time I'm going to.

...when the rationale was so clearly discernable.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120801&content_id=35955894&notebook_id=35957590&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was
Zimmermann to get extra day of rest
By Adam Berry and Mike Fiammetta / MLB.com | 08/02/12 12:25 AM ET

WASHINGTON -- Nationals manager Davey Johnson remains confident it's not a big deal, but the shoulder inflammation that's given Jordan Zimmermann trouble getting loose his past few starts has now pushed his next outing back a day.

Zimmermann was originally scheduled to pitch Friday against the Marlins, but Johnson swapped him and Gio Gonzalez, giving Zimmermann an extra day to rest. Zimmermann began taking medication for the injury on Monday. Gonzalez will still be pitching on regular rest following Monday's off-day, while Zimmermann will start on six days' rest.

"To make it easier for everybody concerned, Gio can throw [on the side] today and pitch Friday on his full rest. This just gives Zim an extra day," Johnson said. "It's not a big deal because he's feeling good, a lot better than he has been, and he's been pitching lights-out. So it's good."