Author Topic: Chief goes on the DL... no, the other Chief  (Read 3548 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Chief goes on the DL... no, the other Chief
« Topic Start: May 08, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »
I'm sharing because I think it's funny (as does my gf), esp. in light of the recent thread about the pitcher who fractured his hand punching a door.  So everyone feel free to have a good laugh at my stupidity.

In case anyone missed it during the game thread last night, I hauled off and took a full swing at a box last night after Oswalt's 2-run single.  I had purposely gotten up to look for something to hit that wouldn't hurt my hand, and I thought the box in question was empty.  Well, it wasn't.  It contained a rather large subwoofer.  Result = fractured 5th metacarpal, and me wearing a big goofy splint until I can see a real doctor tomorrow and get a cast.  I'm sure my girlfriend (who thinks it's hilarious) will be happy to post some pictures of said goofiness later this evening.

I really hate the Astros.

Also, typing with one good hand and a spare thumb is quite challenging.

Instant classic. :lol:

Offline The Chief

Oh yeah, the kicker is that this injury is commonly referred to as a boxer's fracture...  get it?  BOX? :roll: :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
 :roll:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I'm sharing because I think it's funny (as does my gf), esp. in light of the recent thread about the pitcher who fractured his hand punching a door.  So everyone feel free to have a good laugh at my stupidity.

In case anyone missed it during the game thread last night, I hauled off and took a full swing at a box last night after Oswalt's 2-run single.  I had purposely gotten up to look for something to hit that wouldn't hurt my hand, and I thought the box in question was empty.  Well, it wasn't.  It contained a rather large subwoofer.  Result = fractured 5th metacarpal, and me wearing a big goofy splint until I can see a real doctor tomorrow and get a cast.  I'm sure my girlfriend (who thinks it's hilarious) will be happy to post some pictures of said goofiness later this evening.

I really hate the Astros.

Also, typing with one good hand and a spare thumb is quite challenging.

Broken fingers suck, sorry to hear that. But maybe you can change your subtitle to "Julian Tavarez wanna-be" for the duration.

Offline The Chief

Broken fingers suck, sorry to hear that. But maybe you can change your subtitle to "Julian Tavarez wanna-be" for the duration.

its actually the bone in the hand, between the wrist and the bottom of the pinky finger, not the finger itself.  A self-parodying subtitle would probably be appropriate ;)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
its actually the bone in the hand, between the wrist and the bottom of the pinky finger, not the finger itself.  A self-parodying subtitle would probably be appropriate ;)

Ah yes, "metacarpal". Reading entire posts would be smart. Makes sense that you need a cast and not just a finger splint.

natsfan1a

Yikes. Well, hopefully there was a lesson learned in there somewhere. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Offline The Chief

Yikes. Well, hopefully there was a lesson learned in there somewhere. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Well as I said, I made a deliberate effort to guard against hurting myself, that's what makes it all the more embarassing :lol:

And you bet there's a lesson learned...  never watch the Nats when the opposing pitcher's spot comes up ;)\

kidding, kidding :P

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
This is classic Chief. The next time I do something stupid I'll read this thread to remind myself that I'm not alone.

Offline blue911

Chief here's your new avatar.

natsfan1a

:lol:

And you bet there's a lesson learned...  never watch the Nats when the opposing pitcher's spot comes up ;)\

kidding, kidding :P

Offline saltydad

Hope the subwoofer's OK :)  Gotta watch out for those low frequencies. Isn't one of the auto sw's called "punch"?

Offline kimnat

This is classic Chief.

Sorry for laughing, but that's really hilarious!

Offline ronnynat

Was the box the actual subwoofer or was the subwoofer inside of another box?

Offline spidernat

Was the box the actual subwoofer or was the subwoofer inside of another box?

Good question. Answer carefully Chief, this could make the issue even funnier :lol:  I know I'll never box a box.

Offline The Chief

Subwoofer inside of the box, and I thought the box was empty so I didn't pull the punch at all :?

Offline saltydad

Be sure and have your GF post a pic of the offending sub box :lol:

Seriously, hope you heal quickly.

Offline saltydad

My son keeps a piece of drywall in his apartment just for these times. Can't tell you how many bedroom doors we went through.

Offline The Chief

Good question. Answer carefully Chief, this could make the issue even funnier :lol:  I know I'll never box a box.

If I'd known I was hitting something hard I would've pulled the punch a little, but I thought I was going to go right through an empty box, so.... :(

Offline spidernat

Subwoofer inside of the box, and I thought the box was empty so I didn't pull the punch at all :?

Read the question again Chief...

Was the box the actual subwoofer (the actual box it came in) or was the subwoofer inside of another box?

What if the box read FRAGILE  :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

I usually go with the safer technique of slinging objects such as remotes and magazines around when things start to go awry.  ;)

Offline The Chief

My son keeps a piece of drywall in his apartment just for these times. Can't tell you how many bedroom doors we went through.

There is/was a hole in a closet door in my parents' old house that they still don't know about to this day :lol:

Offline ronnynat

If we win tonight, you have to punch a box w/ a subwoofer in it for now on during a game that the opposing pitcher gets a 2-runs single and we lose so we can win the next game. You have to know that we're gonna lose, though, when the pitcher gets the 2-run single. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Offline spidernat

I kick but ever since I booted an uncompromising 45 lb weight plate I use my heel.