Author Topic: The Official "Argue about Elijah Dukes" thread.  (Read 24013 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Re: The Official "Argue about Elijah Dukes" thread.
« Reply #25: December 13, 2007, 08:23:49 PM »
i have stated it before, dukes will NOT be in AAA. the whole purpose of signing him was to have manny and dmitri mentor dukes and give him guidance and allow him to flourish. so, what good would being on a AAA team that is infested with fellow young players serve dukes?

i've never anticipated spring training so anxiously. i can't wait to see dukes throughly outplay kearns in every facet of the game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #26: December 13, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
i have stated it before, dukes will NOT be in AAA. the whole purpose of signing him was to have manny and dmitri mentor dukes and give him guidance and allow him to flourish. so, what good would being on a AAA team that is infested with fellow young players serve dukes?

i've never anticipated spring training so anxiously. i can't wait to see dukes throughly outplay kearns in every facet of the game.

You act like you're running the team. Do you know that they brought Dukes in so Acta and Dmitri can mentor him?
Are you sure they just didn't bring him in because they wanted to take a risk and gamble on a player with mental instability?

And I can guarantee you Dukes won't be starting over Kearns. I have no idea where you get that far-fetched idea from.

Still can't believe you're 19. You're older than me? No way. You're lying to us.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #27: December 13, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »
won't matter tho. Only way Kearns doesnt start is if he isn't in Washington next season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #28: December 13, 2007, 08:29:08 PM »
won't matter tho. Only way Kearns doesnt start is if he isn't in Washington next season.

Exactly. Kearns will be the RF of the Washington Nationals on opening day unless there is an injury or there is a trade.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #29: December 13, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »
It is funny how some of us more san minded posters are called "haters" because we dare to see a player play the game before making judgements about him. All we have to go on are scouting reports and small sample sizes. None of it means a thing. This is one of those debates that only time will solve, and no one doubts that Dukes COULD be a huge star, but flour, water, eggs, and suger can make cookies, but they can also make a fruitcake.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #30: December 13, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
Your Gordon reference is moot. Gordon also plays great defense and had 60 RBIs to complement 15 HRs. That means he drove in runs without home runs, something Dukes DID NOT do.

60 rbi's is pretty tough to manage when you only play 50 games. duh?!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: December 13, 2007, 08:32:15 PM »
60 rbi's is pretty tough to manage when you only play 50 games. duh?!

You fail to see my point.

Dukes had 21 RBIs on 10 HRs.
Gordon had 60 RBIs on 15 HRs.

If you can't see my point, there is no hope for you and you are clearly unable to see un-biasly (is that a word?)

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #32: December 13, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
Exactly. Kearns will be the RF of the Washington Nationals on opening day unless there is an injury or there is a trade.

yes! can't wait for more of the snooze-fest that is ak's bat. in case you guys have short term memory loss, we were LAST in runs last year and kearns was one of the main culprits as to why.

but the new stadium will suddenly spark ak's offense, right?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #33: December 13, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »
yes! can't wait for more of the snooze-fest that is ak's bat. in case you guys have short term memory loss, we were LAST in runs last year and kearns was one of the main culprits as to why.

but the new stadium will suddenly spark ak's offense, right?

Kearns hit close to .300 on the road last year and had significantly better numbers in general on the road last year. RFK haunted him. He's an opposite-field hitter and at RFK that is suicide.

Not to mention the 2nd half of his year, he played outstanding.

And, of course, you fail to mention his defense, which is pretty close to gold-glove level. But hey, I'm sure Dukes is a gold-glover in the making, right?

Why don't we just put him in the HOF right now.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #34: December 13, 2007, 08:35:53 PM »
Kearns hit close to .300 on the road last year and had significantly better numbers in general on the road last year. RFK haunted him. He's an opposite-field hitter and at RFK that is suicide.

Not to mention the 2nd half of his year, he played outstanding.

And, of course, you fail to mention his defense, which is pretty close to gold-glove level. But hey, I'm sure Dukes is a gold-glover in the making, right?

Why don't we just put him in the HOF right now.

But you failed to mention that Kearns ain't not no gansta, has funky whizite-bizzle hair, and ain't never shared no gum.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: December 13, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »
But you failed to mention that Kearns ain't not no gansta, has funky whizite-bizzle hair, and ain't never shared no gum.

Ah, how could I forget?
I have been looking at it the wrong way.

A player is good if he is a thug, gangsta, makes a rap album, has dreadlocks, has off-the-field issues, and of course has any potential at all.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #36: December 13, 2007, 08:40:44 PM »
whoa whoa dreadlocks have nothin to do with it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #37: December 13, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »
whoa whoa dreadlocks have nothin to do with it.

I have no problem with them, but just stating a trend.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #38: December 13, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
This is one of those debates that only time will solve, and no one doubts that Dukes COULD be a huge star, but flour, water, eggs, and suger can make cookies, but they can also make a fruitcake.

Had to make that larger :D

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #39: December 13, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
Wow saying I have a "man crush" but you make a thread dedicated to talking about Dukes nice job.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #40: December 13, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »
Wow saying I have a "man crush" but you make a thread dedicated to talking about Dukes nice job.

I don't see the problem here. He made a theard to consolidate all Dukes talk to once place so it's easier to debate.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #41: December 13, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
has dreadlocks

ricky williams had dreadlocks. ronnie belliard/lastings milledge have cornrows. get it right.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #42: December 13, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »
ricky williams has dreadlocks. ronnie belliard/lastings milledge have cornrows. get it right.

Like it matters? I don't care what the player looks like. It seems to me like you do (or, at least, how they present themselves).

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: December 13, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »
Had to make that larger :D
Can you make it louder? Might help

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #44: December 13, 2007, 08:58:23 PM »
Can you make it louder? Might help

I think they get it. They just like the attention...negative or not.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #45: December 13, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »
but flour, water, eggs, and suger can make cookies, but they can also make a fruitcake.

I know AZ has a man crush on Dukes but that's no reason to call him a fruitcake :lol:

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #47: December 13, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
2airzimmerman1cup

lmfao

Dukes should start in AAA.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #49: December 13, 2007, 10:04:29 PM »
Alex Gordon hit .247 last year.

Your Gordon reference is moot. Gordon also plays great defense and had 60 RBIs to complement 15 HRs. That means he drove in runs without home runs, something Dukes DID NOT do.

No, it's not actually.  Living in Alex Gordon country, I get to see him play a lot and followed him rather closely.  If you're going to look at Dukes' first fifty games and compare that to Alex's production, you need to look at Alex's first fifty games also.  He got off to an absolutely abysmal start, it got so bad, there was talk of sending him down to AAA.  Through May (49 games) he was hitting only .185 and if you go into the first four games in June before he had a 4-4 game vs. Cleveland it drops even further .173.  He only had 3hrs and 8rbi up to then.  Those numbers aren't as good as what Dukes put up.  I think a full season is really needed to compare the two.  Alex finished the year really strong through the summer and was probably the best hitter in that lineup by the end of the year.