Author Topic: 40 man roster  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: 40 man roster
« Reply #125: January 27, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
It sucks if they're going to release him.  I get not trading him.  What's the point of adding one or two more mediocre relievers to Hagersburgcuse?  We won't get anything of value.  I'd rather just bring JD Martin back if we could.

Rizzo seems to have an edge to him when it comes to dealing with players that he doesn't like.  Dukes is the biggest example.  Cabrera, too, with the 'I was just tired of watching him' comment.  If they release AlGo, I think it falls into the same category.  It's like Rizzo makes it personal.  Maybe that's why they put so much emphasis on 'character guys' and 'winners' - the FO doesn't deal well with players who they don't think have that in them.

Just my impression from reading between the lines, anyway.  No way to know for sure, I guess.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #126: January 27, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Not sure how bench players that 'know their role' really fits in with a winning attidue... but I see your point.

Poor Steven Shell, his aura was all wrong.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #127: January 27, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
Winners.  Who?  Wil Nieves.

That damn commercial is on an endless loop in my head sometimes.  :(

Offline blue911

« Reply #128: January 27, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
It sucks if they're going to release him.  I get not trading him.  What's the point of adding one or two more mediocre relievers to Hagersburgcuse?  We won't get anything of value.  I'd rather just bring JD Martin back if we could.

Rizzo seems to have an edge to him when it comes to dealing with players that he doesn't like.  Dukes is the biggest example.  Cabrera, too, with the 'I was just tired of watching him' comment.  If they release AlGo, I think it falls into the same category.  It's like Rizzo makes it personal.  Maybe that's why they put so much emphasis on 'character guys' and 'winners' - the FO doesn't deal well with players who they don't think have that in them.

Just my impression from reading between the lines, anyway.  No way to know for sure, I guess.

Rizzo has a long history with Gonzalez, so I don't know how you can reach the "doesn't like" conclusion.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #129: January 27, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
Isn't DFA Designating for Assignment to the minors? Does that mean any team can grab him? I am not that well versed with all the rules on this.

The Ex-Attorney General would be the type of player I'd think that would be difficult to waive through both leagues. Someone is going to grab him as a minimum cost backup infielder, regardless of his desire to be a full time player.  A team with older players might prefer him to a veteran backup.  If the NYY want to keep Nunez in the minors, playing full time, then they'd be the type who would grab him.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #130: January 27, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
If we release him, I don't see too many other reasonable conclusions.

He can be sent to the minors, he's better than Alex Cora, he can be kept with the big league team until the trade market for utlity players develops.  Maybe 'doesn't like him' is not the right wording.  Maybe I should have said 'doesn't like his makeup.'

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #131: January 27, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
Isn't DFA Designating for Assignment to the minors? Does that mean any team can grab him? I am not that well versed with all the rules on this.

DFA means they are reassigned to a minor league team and removed from the 40 man roster.  In order to remove him from the 40 man, they must expose him to waivers.  Since he still has options left (1 if I am counting right), he could be sent to the minors without a DFA, which means that he would still be on the 40 man.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #132: January 27, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
If we release him, I don't see too many other reasonable conclusions.

He can be sent to the minors, he's better than Alex Cora, he can be kept with the big league team until the trade market for utlity players develops.  Maybe 'doesn't like him' is not the right wording.  Maybe I should have said 'doesn't like his makeup.'

Maybe it's the much better bench talent that has been assembled and nothing more than that.  A bench of Ankiel, Morse, Hairston, and Ramos doesn't leave much room for the 5th spot.  Do you keep someone like Stairs for the LHB?  Do you keep AlGo for the smooth glove (much less needed now that the IF is much better defensively)?  Do you carry a 3rd catcher to start if Flores is really healthy?  It could simply be a numbers game where we've gotten to the point of not needing a superior IF glove off the bench.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #133: January 27, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
Thank you.

Who knows. Maybe he *wants* to try his luck elsewhere. Not that this should be Rizzo's first concern. And who knows if it is only a rumor.

DFA means they are reassigned to a minor league team and removed from the 40 man roster.  In order to remove him from the 40 man, they must expose him to waivers.  Since he still has options left (1 if I am counting right), he could be sent to the minors without a DFA, which means that he would still be on the 40 man.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #134: January 27, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
Maybe, but is there a 3B or an SS in that bunch? Nevermind. Hairston.

Maybe it's the much better bench talent that has been assembled and nothing more than that.  A bench of Ankiel, Morse, Hairston, and Ramos doesn't leave much room for the 5th spot.  Do you keep someone like Stairs for the LHB?  Do you keep AlGo for the smooth glove (much less needed now that the IF is much better defensively)?  Do you carry a 3rd catcher to start if Flores is really healthy?  It could simply be a numbers game where we've gotten to the point of not needing a superior IF glove off the bench.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #135: January 27, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
DFA means they are reassigned to a minor league team and removed from the 40 man roster.  In order to remove him from the 40 man, they must expose him to waivers.  Since he still has options left (1 if I am counting right), he could be sent to the minors without a DFA, which means that he would still be on the 40 man.
Looks like to me he was first called up in 2007, and was up in 2008, 2009, and 2010.  how many times has he been sent down?  2008 and 2009 for sure.  It looks like he was not added to the roster until 9/07, so I agree it looks like he has one more option.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136: January 27, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Maybe, but is there a 3B or an SS in that bunch? Nevermind. Hairston.

Morse can play 3d, too.  plus, of course, Cora can be held in the minors unless he has an opt out, and can be added to the 40 man sometime in the year when a player like Maxwell is put on the 60 day DL.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #137: January 27, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Really? Morse? Huh.
Morse can play 3d, too.  plus, of course, Cora can be held in the minors unless he has an opt out, and can be added to the 40 man sometime in the year when a player like Maxwell is put on the 60 day DL.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #138: January 27, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if that happens with Cora/Maxwell.  It's nice to have decent options for how to construct the bench that don't involve hoping for something out of Willy Taveras or Kevin Mench.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #139: January 27, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Really? Morse? Huh.

Came up as a SS in Seattle.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: January 27, 2011, 01:58:56 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #143: January 27, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
:lmao: :lmao:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #144: January 27, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
the best is back in the day when there was already a thread about a certain topic and someone would make a new thread or post it in another topic ... SF would come out in CAPS - SCREAMING AND POSTING THE LINK!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145: January 27, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
:lmao: :lmao:
Who started the :lmao: chain?  Must be someone I have on ignore.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #146: January 27, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #147: January 27, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
I really don't agree with the DFA of Maxwell.  We have a ton of SPs that have almost no shot at ever seeing the mound at Nationals Park again.  Why DFA a guy at a position where we have basically no organizational depth?  I understand that he's injured but we could have waited and put him on the 60 Day DL.  It makes no sense to expose him to waivers (though I doubt he'll be picked up) over a SP like Mock or Atilano that is likely not in the team's future plans and plays a position we are deep at.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #148: January 27, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
I really don't agree with the DFA of Maxwell.  We have a ton of SPs that have almost no shot at ever seeing the mound at Nationals Park again.  Why DFA a guy at a position where we have basically no organizational depth?  I understand that he's injured but we could have waited and put him on the 60 Day DL.  It makes no sense to expose him to waivers (though I doubt he'll be picked up) over a SP like Mock or Atilano that is likely not in the team's future plans and plays a position we are deep at.

Unless Maxwell is worse off than we thought, or one of those SPs is potentially getting thrown in on a trade, I agree.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #149: January 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
good luck to Maxwell, always seemed like a class act.